Gender again. Sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sorry, what?

Well responsibilities would probably be a better general word. Is it your view that parents shouldn't have any rights in respect of their under 16 children though? Like the right to know what they are being prescribed by a doctor, for meds other than contraception?

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Rights or responsibilities?

Eb2WrtUWAAEagCj.jpg

monkers

Legendary Member
Well responsibilities would probably be a better general word. Is it your view that parents shouldn't have any rights in respect of their under 16 children though? Like the right to know what they are being prescribed by a doctor, for meds other than contraception?

It's complicated. As a rule of thumb children have the right to prevent access to their medical records by others including their parents from the age of 13 (12 in Scotland). There are some permissible exemptions.

Before you get confused, I'm not offering an opinion, just what I understand to be the facts.

While the term 'Gillick Competent' arose from an issue around 'the pill' the concept goes considerably further and, I think, extends beyond medicine.

I found this TED talk powerful, thought provoking, and moving.

View: https://www.ted.com/talks/emily_quinn_the_way_we_think_about_biological_sex_is_wrong

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis

It's certainly interesting because I find that in these discussions of sex and gender, DSD / intersex people are often set to one side. Somebody will mention sex as a spectrum but it will be met with a dismissal. Sex is binary, we know we have these other people but they are anomalies so we won't consider them for now.

But what that TED talk demonstrates is that these are real people, it's not some academic exercise that you can put to one side indefinitely while you argue about the easy stuff. You have to include them and you start running into some real difficulties if you're making dogmatic decisions based on certain physical or biological traits.

multitool

Pharaoh
Not specifically 'gender', but absolutely connected to the current war on non-heteronormativity:

Would be thoroughly enjoying the current ridiculous confected right-wing moral panic over sex education, storytelling drag queens, Katherine Birbalsingh's barking tweets about dildos and anal, Miriam Cate's spurious 'urgent' HoC questions, fake vicar Calvin Robinson and shoefaced plummy moron Laurence Fox's tragicomic protests, but for the fact that it portends to something very dark, and for that we have to look west to the US, because whatever happens there in terms of culture war is either directly imported, or washes up on our shores via social media.

As with Linekar, what is being attempted IS an ideological capture of institutions via confection of phantom threats.

Oh, and has anybody here with kids noticed how they have been coming home talking about felching after a PHSE lesson?

Me neither.

Last edited:
The issue with schools is that many have outsourced their teaching to external training groups who do not necessarily have a neutral stance on these topics and present information that is contentious as though it were fact.

You will get an ideological slant to the content and teaching just as much as you would if you invited a religious group to do your sex ed course.

It's easily dealt with by making all schemes of work, lesson plans, and materials used available for parents to see online so they can decide whether they think it's appropriate or not. Just like it is available for any other subject on the curriculum. You could further extend Ofsted oversight to include the full content of these courses rather than their remit being to ensure that the bare minimum is being done.

If kids genuinely aren't being taught about 72 genders then there's nothing to hide in having the materials available for all to see. And if they are being taught about 72 genders and how to safely choke someone during sex then parents can discuss with their school whether they think it's appropriate content and the government can advise on what is appropriate content just like they do with Maths, History, Physics, and every other subject.

Enough for parents to be concerned about it apparently. Do you have a figure on the number of schools teaching kids how to strangle their partner that you would be comfortable with?

If there is transparency with the lessons plans and materials, and transparency from the groups being employed to deliver the courses, we can actually find out the numbers. I'm sure you wouldn't want kids being taught unscientific ideologically based stuff in RSE, so let's find out if there's anything to be concerned about rather than dismissing everything as a made up culture war issue.

multitool

Pharaoh
Enough for parents to be concerned about it apparently. Do you have a figure on the number of schools teaching kids how to strangle their partner that you would be comfortable with?

Stop with your bulls¹t "have you stopped beating your wife" questions and actually answer MY question.

You've made an assertion. Now either back it up, or we will all know you are talking out of your arse.

Alleged parental concern is proof of nothing. It's like claiming that concern that Jews are planning to take over the world is evidence that they are. Grade A intellectual dishonesty. Your forté

Last edited:
Top Bottom