Gender again. Sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

You're only invited if you're registered as female with your GP, ie. it's an automatic admin thing, not a recognition that you've changed sex. And the only reason transwomen might need breast scans more than anybody else born male is because hrt increases the risk of breast cancer, for both sexes. Any man can get the various cancers associated with that area of the body. A friend's husband was diagnosed at 30 (very rare in men so young) and had an op but no chemo/radiotherapy. Changing secondary characteristics with hrt or surgery doesn't change your sex.
I was told that it's not as uncommon as many feel/think it to be. We may only make up a small number, you quoted only 440 men a year* dismissing it out of hand as not being relevant to the total number of cases each year. Now you acknowledge the fact that men can have breast cancer. We have to go to the same breast cancer clinics as cancer doesn't differentiate between male or female.

Should women who get hit with the news that they have prostate cancer(Figures are much lower than breast cancer in men.) Should they be hounded out of the treatment area because a minority make a vocal protest that it's not possible. That their sole reason is to access an "area out of bounds" to them.

*It's 1% of the yearly total, but each case is and should be dealt with on an individual basis. The same as it is with any cancer.

I've never dismissed the fact that men can get these cancers. As I've said before, you have obviously not been treated well by the NHS and haven't received the standard of care that you were entitled to. I'm sure we all wish your situation had been handled better and you received more personalised care.

IT'S FINE TO PUNCH WOMEN OR THROW SOUP AT THEM IF YOU DON'T LIKE WHAT THEY SAY.

It's handy how CC lets you doctor quotes, isn't it?

I'm happy to let any women speak on these issues. It's only you who thinks they should be subject to violence and intimidation when they say stuff you don't like though.

classic33

I've never dismissed the fact that men can get these cancers. As I've said before, you have obviously not been treated well by the NHS and haven't received the standard of care that you were entitled to. I'm sure we all wish your situation had been handled better and you received more personalised care.
The standard of care provided by the NHS wasn't the problem.* It was the vocal minority there for the same reason as myself. Demanding that I be denied treatment, as I couldn't be genuinely there for cancer, meaning I had to be there for other reasons. This placed extra pressure on the medical staff.

Maybe you'll answer the question asked this time.

*The standard of care was the best they could have provided, personal opinion. But they had also to deal with a minority that wanted a man removing from the area as it was a women only area. Despite many being there with male partners.

multitool

Pharaoh
It's handy how CC lets you doctor quotes, isn't it?

I'm happy to let any women speak on these issues. It's only you who thinks they should be subject to violence and intimidation when they say stuff you don't like though.

No you aren't. And no I'm not.

Standard Aurora lying.

Maybe you'll answer the question asked this time.
Should women who get hit with the news that they have prostate cancer (Figures are much lower than breast cancer in men.) Should they be hounded out of the treatment area because a minority make a vocal protest that it's not possible.

No, they shouldn't. And you shouldn't have been hounded out of a breast cancer waiting room (if that's what you are saying happened). If there was an issue the staff should have taken a minute to explain to those waiting that you were also a patient. Not everybody knows that men can get these cancers and people can feel very afraid and vulnerable when waiting for results or tests or treatment; it sounds like the situation wasn't handled very well at all.

classic33

No, they shouldn't. And you shouldn't have been hounded out of a breast cancer waiting room (if that's what you are saying happened). If there was an issue the staff should have taken a minute to explain to those waiting that you were also a patient. Not everybody knows that men can get these cancers and people can feel very afraid and vulnerable when waiting for results or tests or treatment; it sounds like the situation wasn't handled very well at all.
I'd say the medical staff handled the situation very well. Hindered by a minority that seemed to think, and made it known, I was there under false pretences. In a women only area, with the sister pointing out that many were there with male partners.

It's also the only time I've had a nurse on guard duty, to prevent anyone getting into the examination room, whilst being examined. A nurse who could have been seeing to another patient.

How do you think it felt to be the only man there, for treatment, for a condition that is assumed only women can get?

icowden

Legendary Member
I was told that it's not as uncommon as many feel/think it to be. We may only make up a small number, you quoted only 440 men a year* dismissing it out of hand as not being relevant to the total number of cases each year. Now you acknowledge the fact that men can have breast cancer. We have to go to the same breast cancer clinics as cancer doesn't differentiate between male or female.
You do know that both men and women have breasts right?
Should women who get hit with the news that they have prostate cancer(Figures are much lower than breast cancer in men.) Should they be hounded out of the treatment area because a minority make a vocal protest that it's not possible. That their sole reason is to access an "area out of bounds" to them.
No, but they cannot get prostate cancer. They can in very rare cases get cancer of the skene glands which is sometimes referred to as women's prostate cancer, but skene's glands are a female equivalence rather than being the same organ and the treatment would therefore not necessarily be the same.

icowden

Legendary Member

I'm suspecting you took @AuroraSaab out of context there.
Both sides should be able to speak and discuss. That's the entire point.

The 'NO NOT THOSE WOMEN' wasn't an out of context quote from me, IC. It was a completely fake quote. I did the same in my next post. Bit of a failing in the CC editing procedure really that quotes can be manipulated or made up completely.

multitool

Pharaoh
It was a satirical comment on Aurora's attitude towards women's speech, and a handy precis of one of her standard tactics, claiming ownership of the female voice.

How do you think it felt to be the only man there, for treatment, for a condition that is assumed only women can get?

Pretty uncomfortable, I'd imagine. Did it give you any insight into how women might feel when they are in a vulnerable situation and an unknown male is present?

icowden

Legendary Member
Fact 1: RAD is not a dance school with access limited to a few places with auditions. It's an exam board with dance schools teaching all comers to dance to pass those exams.
Sure. This is not entirely accurate. RAD operate an exam board and also a "college" (distance learning) which confers degrees, MAs etc as well as degrees via University of Bath.
Fact 2: Some RAD dance schools use the term 'scholar'. This does not mean they have 'won a scholarship' or are dancing in some prestigious institution like the Royal Ballet School with places won by competition.
Fair enough
So why is this even a story?
Do you know what? I agree with you. I found a bit more - essentially she is performing "professionally" in the USA. Although what this actually means is that she was invited to perform with Ballet Beyond Borders cultural exchange. It seems that someone has got very overexcited and mistaken RAD for the Royal Ballet - thus concocting some propaganda.

I hold my hand up as having fallen prey to it.

The worst that can be said is that he's getting some publicity which would be denied the average cis:female ballet dancer, but as the publicity is because she is trans, it doesn't make a difference. I can't find any evidence of the claimed scholarship either. She appears to be enjoying herself although Ballet purists will point out that having a male body means that she will be unable to achieve anything like a reasonable standard as a woman and is extremely limited by the very small number of male ballet dancers who will be able to lift a 6 foot 3 inch transwoman. Still - if she is enjoying herself, then why not.

classic33

You do know that both men and women have breasts right?

No, but they cannot get prostate cancer. They can in very rare cases get cancer of the skene glands which is sometimes referred to as women's prostate cancer, but skene's glands are a female equivalence rather than being the same organ and the treatment would therefore not necessarily be the same.
Learned that bit at junior school. Learned in secondary school that men can succumb to breast cancer.

You're saying that female prostrate cancer isn't possible. Are you qualified to make that claim. Given that a quick search says otherwise.

I first learned about it when a women turned up at what was up until then, an all male group. We didn't demand that she be refused entry into the meeting, on the grounds she wasn't the correct type of person to be at the meeting. Most listened to her story with disbelief, but never said it was a single sex space to which she had no access. Odd in a way, it's a lot less common than breast cancer in men, but she was welcome to attend as long as she felt she needed to shout/scream/sound off about how cancer is so unfair. Something all within the group could agree with.

Top Bottom