Gender again. Sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
They are blinded by their in-built hatred of tabloids, just as all the woke lefties on here are blinded by their in-built hatred of the comedian.

Thus they cannot recognise The Sun for the brilliantly produced newspaper which it is, and they can't see the hypocrisy - and risk - in banning the comedian.

See @matticus this is the level he's working at. Maybe deserves an eye roll at most.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
They are blinded by their in-built hatred of tabloids, just as all the woke lefties on here are blinded by their in-built hatred of the comedian.

Thus they cannot recognise The Sun for the brilliantly produced newspaper which it is, and they can't see the hypocrisy - and risk - in banning the comedian.

It could equally be said that they see through what tabloids are and dismiss them because of that. Works both ways.

I've seen a Linehan stand up show, he's not very good. If anything The Arches has saved everyone a wasted evening, though the others on the bill may have been good. I suspect not, however, if the promoters have gone for such a woefully transparent marketing tactic to sell tickets.

matticus

Guru
See @matticus this is the level he's working at. Maybe deserves an eye roll at most.

The thing is, I can disagree with his views on the Sun; and yet not suggest he's raped his wife during a discussion on gender.

Oh and I don't share your views on this Linehan kerfuffle (just in case anyone leaps on this post out of context); but I won't be denying you any medical care out of spite. x

Leaving aside the obvious example, I've not see ignorance this belligerent since the Andy in Sig days.

If you can't see the difference between an independent venue pulling a show and a council forcing a venue under its auspices to cancel an event, then I suppose it's consistent with a long thread in which you are not interested in the differences between things that are not the same.

It's relevant that its an arts venue, and furthermore an independent arts venue at the Fringe, because you clearly have zero idea what this means, how things work, or what constitutes a legitimate programming decision. I literally run an arts venue, and a production company which tours to other venues. I literally pulled a recent (hire) event because the person running it was obnoxious to my colleague and I decided she was a pain in the arse and a narcissistic bully. She'd signed a contract, we returned her deposit. I don't care if she goes off on one about how unfair it is or thinks she's been unfairly discriminated against, because I'm entirely confident in the decision. I've been working at the Fringe for over 20 years. We've been f**ked over by venues in big and small ways, we've created and run venues (in Leith!), we've programmed other companies. We've been banned from Worthing and Newbury (which, to be fair, is an endorsement of sorts), and censored by authorities as diverse as the Dylan Thomas estate and the Georgian Orthodox Church. Unlike you, I know what I'm talking about. Glinner is not banned from the Fringe (and nor should he be, but that doesn't mean I would advise anyone to book or host his stand-up). The Leith Arches has been played by a bunch of controversy-spinning GBNews reactionaries, and should probably have seen it coming, but there's else to nothing to see here.

Arts venues aren't exempt from laws designed to prevent discrimination so I've no idea why you think your CV is relevant. Not booking someone in the first place because they aren't suitable for your demographic is different from booking a show and then cancelling because you don't like the legal to hold opinions of one person on the bill, or cancelling a room booking because the booker has been obnoxious.

I haven't claimed Linehan is banned from the Fringe either.

The long and the short of it is that you think laws that protect us all from discrimination, in certain circumstances, shouldn't apply to people you don't like.

winjim

You have a conveniently short memory when it suits you https://ncap.cyclechat.net/threads/gender-again-sorry.273/post-71784

What are you on about? If anything I'm defending his viewpoint in that conversation, or if not quite that I'm pointing out that he's not the only one who has expressed it.

If you can point out exactly where I've accused someone of rape then please point it out and I'll be happy to retract and apologise. Otherwise I'd appreciate it if you would do similar.

matticus

Guru
What are you on about? If anything I'm defending his viewpoint in that conversation, or if not quite that I'm pointing out that he's not the only one who has expressed it.

Perhaps you could try to be a little clearer than a statement like:
"this is the level he's working at. Maybe deserves an eye roll at most."

winjim

Either show me where I've made an accusation, apologise or get to f*ck.

Pale Rider

Veteran

The Sun is a brilliantly produced tabloid newspaper.

That you don't like it - or that I do - is neither here nor there.

Your stance on the comedian, 'ban him because I don't like him' is muddle headed thinking.

That's the level you are working at.

Typical 'you don't understand' attempt at 'debate' - Ms Claud went the same way earlier.

A sure sign there's no valid response available.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Arts venues aren't exempt from laws designed to prevent discrimination so I've no idea why you think your CV is relevant. Not booking someone in the first place because they aren't suitable for your demographic is different from booking a show and then cancelling because you don't like the legal to hold opinions of one person on the bill, or cancelling a room booking because the booker has been obnoxious.

I haven't claimed Linehan is banned from the Fringe either.

The long and the short of it is that you think laws that protect us all from discrimination, in certain circumstances, shouldn't apply to people you don't like.

The thing that you are unable to grasp on account of being both fixated and completely ignorant of Fringe ecology or any other context is that Glinner, or Unleashed or whoever, doesn't have a scintilla of a case against the venue under equality law, and threats to sue on that basis are vexatious bullying, cock-waving, and scandal-mongering.

Top Bottom