Giggs trial collapse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
It's customary to provide a link when you are opening a thread with news of some kind.

OP
OP
BoldonLad

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
It's customary to provide a link when you are opening a thread with news of some kind.

Customary it may be, but, I don't know how to link to BBC TV 6 o'clock news, I suppose I could take a photograph of the screen, but, that wouldn't provide the audio.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I haven't got a Welsh....

It's just like an English but with cockles and laverbread. :hungry:

After 20+ hours of discussion the jury, reduced to 11 by ill-health, could not agree a verdict by majority on any of the several charges faced by Ryan Giggs.

The CPS have to decide whether to go for a retrial which would probably not take place before June of next year. They're going to be damned either way. On the one hand a high profile figure charged with offences against women will be seen as having 'got away with it'. On the other a lot of time and public money will be expended with a high probability a second jury will also fail to agree.

Giggs will be bearing all or most of the costs of his defence and even a multi-millionaire will find that dents his savings hard. IIRC Dave Lee-Travis was ruined in similar circumstances.

PaulB

After 20+ hours of discussion the jury, reduced to 11 by ill-health, could not agree a verdict by majority on any of the several charges faced by Ryan Giggs.

The CPS have to decide whether to go for a retrial which would probably not take place before June of next year. They're going to be damned either way. On the one hand a high profile figure charged with offences against women will be seen as having 'got away with it'. On the other a lot of time and public money will be expended with a high probability a second jury will also fail to agree.

Giggs will be bearing all or most of the costs of his defence and even a multi-millionaire will find that dents his savings hard. IIRC Dave Lee-Travis was ruined in similar circumstances.

Giggs' career in football is over either way...unless there is a trial next year and he is acquitted and exonerated. Nah, he's Donald Ducked.

Beebo

Veteran
I presume we and the CPS never get to find out the jury’s split decision and the areas they were stuck on?

I presume we and the CPS never get to find out the jury’s split decision and the areas they were stuck on?

Yes. Jury deliberations stay in the jury room. The foreman said they could not agree a verdict now or 'after extra time'. They're discharged and that is that.

Even scientific research is banned by law dating back to when Hailsham was the Lord Chancellor.

Top Bottom