Gordon Brown

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We have, at least, one politician with a moral compass and he's the only senior politician speaking out publicly about the current financial mess the UK's in. I'm surprised that no-one has started a thread about this.

He carried out a study which has noted that by October, 50% of children (7 million kids) will be living in households that have to do without material necessities. By January, 39 million people could be fuel poor, those that spend more than 10% of their income on energy bills. In his home area of Fife, he's seeing levels of poverty that haven't been witnessed since the 30s. Youngsters going to school on empty stomachs and/or unsuitable shoes and nurses queueing at food banks.

However, this is the zinger for me. Warmbanks. This is something I heard about last week, the Mayor of Bristol and Aberdeen Council are planning these. Other areas of the UK are planning the same. Places for people to go if their homes get too cold. That is just astonishing! In fact, simply horrifying!

GB says, correctly, that the line of defence should be the welfare state. After all, that's what it was set up for, not food banks or warmbanks. In Fife, there are not just warmbanks and foodbanks, but a bedding bank, a clothes bank, a baby bank, a hygiene bank and a toiletries bank. I'm sure that'll be repeated in other areas of the UK. This is what's supposed to be the 5th richest nation on earth. Although, I think we may've dropped down that ranking now.

Before anyone starts screaming about Iraq or selling the gold, which is a usual whataboutery, just ask yourself one question. Was your day to day life better under Prime Minister Gordon Brown or now?

All this is going on while Sunak and Truss talk about the cost of ear rings and cutlery, and BJ is taking a holiday, presumably paid by someone who'll get a peerage, from cosplaying various roles. GB hasn't been PM for 12 years and he has better, and more workable ideas, than his party leader (who is also posted missing) and the people who are actually supposed to be in charge.

The world is looking on at this with utter astonishment.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/polit...r.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Last edited:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
We have The UK has , at least, one politician with a moral compass and he's the only senior politician speaking out publicly about the current financial mess the UK's in. I'm surprised that no-one has started a thread about this.

He carried out a study which has noted that by October, 50% of children (7 million kids) will be living in households that have to do without material necessities. By January, 39 million people could be fuel poor, those that spend more than 10% of their income on energy bills. In his home area of Fife, he's seeing levels of poverty that haven't been witnessed since the 30s. Youngsters going to school on empty stomachs and/or unsuitable shoes and nurses queueing at food banks.

However, this is the zinger for me. Warmbanks. This is something I heard about last week, the Mayor of Bristol and Aberdeen Council are planning these. Other areas of the UK are planning the same. Places for people to go if their homes get too cold. That is just astonishing! In fact, simply horrifying!

GB says, correctly, that the line of defence should be the welfare state. After all, that's what it was set up for, not food banks or warmbanks. In Fife, there are not just warmbanks and foodbanks, but a bedding bank, a clothes bank, a baby bank, a hygiene bank and a toiletries bank. I'm sure that'll be repeated in other areas of the UK. This is what's supposed to be the 5th richest nation on earth. Although, I think we may've dropped down that ranking now.

Before anyone starts screaming about Iraq or selling the gold, which is a usual whataboutery, just ask yourself one question. Was your day to day life better under Prime Minister Gordon Brown or now?

All this is going on while Sunak and Truss talk about the cost of ear rings and cutlery, and BJ is taking a holiday, presumably paid by someone who'll get a peerage, from cosplaying various roles. GB hasn't been PM for 12 years and he has better, and more workable ideas, than his party leader (who is also posted missing) and the people who are actually supposed to be in charge.

The world is looking on at this with utter astonishment.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/polit...r.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar
FTFY

jowwy

well it cant be WE, as you dont live in this country and are governed by the government of Honk Kong.....so for an english teacher, you should have made it grammatically correct, so the clown face is on you really.

OP
OP
cookiemonster

cookiemonster

Über Member
well it cant be WE, as you dont live in this country and are governed by the government of Honk Kong.....so for an english teacher, you should have made it grammatically correct, so the clown face is on you really.

I'm a UK citizen with a UK passport. So I'll use 'we' if I want.

Also, a bit rich you telling anyone about grammar. Have you read your posts? :o)

Last edited:

jowwy

I'm a UK citizen with a UK passport. So, I'll use we if I want.

Also, a bit rich you telling anyone about grammar. Have you read your posts? :o)

Wow you own a british passport, but farked off many years ago.....so again, its not we.......as for the clown remarks, come up with something better, ive had better comebacks from my 2yr old newphew.

and unless you have returned to the UK once every 6 months, your not a UK citizen

OP
OP
cookiemonster

cookiemonster

Über Member
Wow you own a british passport, but farked off many years ago.....so again, its not we.......as for the clown remarks, come up with something better, ive had better comebacks from my 2yr old newphew.

and unless you have returned to the UK once every 6 months, your not a UK citizen

Bullshit!

Where did you get that from?

I would say that your 2 year old nephew has better spelling skills.

jowwy

Bullshit!

Where did you get that from?

I would say that your 2 year old nephew has better spelling skills.

Yes he does have better skills than you.......but thats not difficult really is it

How long can you live outside the UK without losing British citizenship?

You are allowed to spend time outside of the UK so long as these periods of absence do not exceed 6 months at any one time.

How long can UK permanent residents stay abroad?

You are allowed to spend time outside of the UK so long as these periods of absence do not exceed 6 months at any one time

OP
OP
cookiemonster

cookiemonster

Über Member
How long can you live outside the UK without losing British citizenship?

You are allowed to spend time outside of the UK so long as these periods of absence do not exceed 6 months at any one time.

How long can UK permanent residents stay abroad?

You are allowed to spend time outside of the UK so long as these periods of absence do not exceed 6 months at any one time

Please link me to the info you gave in your post as it doesn't exist on the Home Office website or any other reliable website dealing with this subject.

From the Home Office website -

According to Home Office rules, your UK citizenship will not be affected if you decide to move or retire in a country outside the UK. In other words, you will not lose your British Citizenship if you move to another country.

Because dual citizenship is permitted by the UK authorities, you can apply for and gain citizenship in your new home country without losing your UK citizenship.

I've been living abroad since 2014 so I would definitely know by now if I would lose my UK citizenship especially as I renewed my passport in 2019, 5 years after leaving.

:o)

Anyway, this thread is not about where I live. Start another thread if you want on that subject. I would like to read what other people think about GB's involvement with the current issues at hand.

Last edited:

jowwy

Please link me to the info you gave in your post as it doesn't exist on the Home Office website or any other reliable website dealing with this subject.

From the Home Office website -

According to Home Office rules, your UK citizenship will not be affected if you decide to move or retire in a country outside the UK. In other words, you will not lose your British Citizenship if you move to another country.

Because dual citizenship is permitted by the UK authorities, you can apply for and gain citizenship in your new home country without losing your UK citizenship.

I've been living abroad since 2014 so I would definitely know by now if I would lose my UK citizenship especially as I renewed my passport in 2019, 5 years after leaving.

:o)

Anyway, this thread is not about where I live. Start another thread if you want on that subject. I would like to read what other people think about GB's involvement with the current issues at hand.

it is about were you live when you put WE have a politician, rather than YOU........you made it about were you live, by using the wrong wording to start your thread....

But also didnt you state in a previous thread you have been out of the uk for over 15yrs, which is why your vote was taken away from you ( or stolen as you put it)....that would be longer than 2014??

OP
OP
cookiemonster

cookiemonster

Über Member
it is about were you live when you put WE have a politician, rather than YOU........you made it about were you live, by using the wrong wording to start your thread....

But also didnt you state in a previous thread you have been out of the uk for over 15yrs, which is why your vote was taken away from you ( or stolen as you put it)....that would be longer than 2014??

No. I've been away for 8 years.

My vote was removed, along with many others, just before the Brexit referendum and I was just out of the UK for 18 months at that point.

So, where's the link to your info?

Finally, start another thread instead of hijacking this one.

jowwy

No. I've been away for 8 years.

My vote was removed, along with many others, just before the Brexit referendum and I was just out of the UK for 18 months at that point.

So, where's the link to your info?

Finally, start another thread instead of hijacking this one.

i like this thread, cause its about the UK government and you dont live in the UK....so again, its US not WE

Top Bottom