How can politicians be held to account?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The problem is the PM doesn't care either. Given that she got a free pass last time she breached the code she and others now think they can act with impunity.

Tanis8472

Regular
Can't see it changing as they are trying to remove a lot of rules and laws already.
It'll only change if there is a seismic change to this countries voting system.

Milkfloat

The days where something illegal or against the ministerial code being punished by sacking or resignation seem to be over. Most politicians can act with impunity because the electorate does not seem to care. In a large part, this is our fault as we have not been shouting loud enough and then voting to show our opinion. If Boris thought that public opinion was really against him for allowing his ministers or himself to break their code and/or the law then I am sure he would sack them in a heartbeat (assuming they did not have a dirty dossier on him). I think we are moving more and more to a US system where lobbying is huge and ‘character politicians‘ are popular. It would not surprise me to see a Love Island C list celebrity get elected soon.

mudsticks

Squire
The days where something illegal or against the ministerial code being punished by sacking or resignation seem to be over. Most politicians can act with impunity because the electorate does not seem to care. In a large part, this is our fault as we have not been shouting loud enough and then voting to show our opinion. If Boris thought that public opinion was really against him for allowing his ministers or himself to break their code and/or the law then I am sure he would sack them in a heartbeat (assuming they did not have a dirty dossier on him). I think we are moving more and more to a US system where lobbying is huge and ‘character politicians‘ are popular. It would not surprise me to see a Love Island C list celebrity get elected soon.

So it's up to us then isn't it.?

It's so easy to contact your MP nowadays, maybe this is why people don't bother, they think that someone else will have done it already.

In my experience it can have an effect

Even contacting someone in the HoLs can be done over specific issues.

If everyone carries on thinking they're all untouchable, and not susceptible to outside influence, then that becomes a self fulfilling prophesy.

Of course we don't always get the response, or action we always want to see as individuals..

That wouldn't be right either, but we can have influence, either collectively through bigger organisations, or of course more minimally just as ourselves.

mudsticks

Squire
Been there, done that, made a few helpful suggestions, nothing happened. I can only assume that either he doesn’t need my vote or he’s not a contortionist.

Oh I know, it feels futile, and you get fobbed off a lot.

But you've got to use your voice somehow

Tbh I /we've had more luck through union business.

Even with Tories.

I think because farming, environment and food production are seen more as 'rural matters' which they feel is more their sort of line.

So we can get an 'in' and then get some good messages across, some even fairly radical, from a political pov .

Some of which have lead to policy change, and different language coming through.

It's painstaking work, and progress isn't linear.

But it feels like quite a lot better than nothing.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
newfhouse

newfhouse

pleb
Oh I know, it feels futile, and you get fobbed off a lot.
It wasn’t a difficult ask. With a bit of flexibility training I think he really could have inserted his policies where the sun doesn’t shine :laugh:

So it's up to us then isn't it.?

It's so easy to contact your MP nowadays, maybe this is why people don't bother, they think that someone else will have done it already.

In my experience it can have an effect

Even contacting someone in the HoLs can be done over specific issues.

If everyone carries on thinking they're all untouchable, and not susceptible to outside influence, then that becomes a self fulfilling prophesy.

Of course we don't always get the response, or action we always want to see as individuals..

That wouldn't be right either, but we can have influence, either collectively through bigger organisations, or of course more minimally just as ourselves.
When your local MP is Natalie Elphicke, it's not worth the electrons....

Top Bottom