How do you define art?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Regular
Yebbut............it's art!

So, your priority for building design is that it looks good not that it is fit for purpose?

Ummmm,

matticus

Guru
Is the building a piece of art ? My favourite local building 😁 It's good enough to be a piece of Art....
https://tribunemag.co.uk/2021/11/pr...brutalism-modernism-community-wealth-building
Just so I'm clear. You're comparing this:
1638267244728.png

With this:
1638267286319.png

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
On the way home from school yesterday, apropos of nothing our 6yo threw some snow at a tree and shouted 'Art!'

So this is art I guess, although I'm not sure if maybe the real art isn't actually in the very act of throwing.

mudsticks

Squire
On the way home from school yesterday, apropos of nothing our 6yo threw some snow at a tree and shouted 'Art!'

So this is art I guess, although I'm not sure if maybe the real art isn't actually in the very act of throwing.

View attachment 300

Look out Andy Goldsworthy , is all I can say..

Definitely performance art yes, with a select yet attentive audience of one.

If it's ever queried as to why one is acting bizarrely in public places , the stock answer is
"Art project innit"

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Look out Andy Goldsworthy , is all I can say..

Definitely performance art yes, with a select yet attentive audience of one.

If it's ever queried as to why one is acting bizarrely in public places , the stock answer is
"Art project innit"
The piece did evolve as her little brother joined in, but I'm afraid I didn't manage to get a picture of the augmented work.

mudsticks

Squire
The piece did evolve as her little brother joined in, but I'm afraid I didn't manage to get a picture of the augmented work.

Oh shame.

The dimension of time factors so deeply within these pieces , don't you find..?

Without it the whole concept can come across as highly constrained..

Stultified even 🤔

Mr Celine

1638576282884.png

1638576436970.png

£1.5m worth of concrete repairs about to start to restore this beauty.

This building is so spectacular I occasionally pay to visit. The amazing lines, angles, shapes and shadows occupy my mind for at least an hour before I have to resort to actually watching the fitba.
'Mon the Dean!

slowmotion

The Jeremy Clarkson of the art world. More interested in his own notoriety than in any real appreciation of art.
I don't know about Clarkson, but Sewell was very entertaining. As for his appreciation of art, here's a section of his Wiki entry.........

Sewell suggested that art world insiders had felt embarrassed by a recent TV stunt in which he, a dealer and another critic had been shown a painting without being told that it had been painted by an elephant. Sewell described the painting as having no merit, while the other participants praised it.

Top Bottom