HS2 and the new rail proposals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Serendipitous
Is there a thread about the cancellation of HS2 ? I can't find one, but it seems like a good decision to me, what seems like a bad decision is the Leeds to Manchester new line cancellation.
Life up here doesn't revolve about what happens in the south of the country, I hope all the people up here who gave these lying conservatives their vote now regret it and see that they are not worthy to represent proper people.

Last edited:

classic33

There's Ditch HS2?
https://ncap.cyclechat.net/threads/ditch-hs2.14/

Too many changes at the Leeds end over the years, as to where the station was actually going to be. They've since built new platforms at Leeds station, soley for use by these trains. Now being reworked to accept current rolling stock.
A new entrance on the South side of the station, the furthest possible point from the platforms.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Is there a thread about the cancellation of HS2 ? I can't find one, but it seems like a good decision to me, what seems like a bad decision is the Leeds to Manchester new line cancellation.
Life up here doesn't revolve about what happens in the south of the country, I hope all the people up here who gave these lying conservatives their vote now regret it and see that they are not worthy to represent proper people.

We in the "real" North were never going to get an HS2 link anyway, so, makes little difference as far as I can see.

mjr

Too many changes at the Leeds end over the years, as to where the station was actually going to be. They've since built new platforms at Leeds station, soley for use by these trains. Now being reworked to accept current rolling stock.
A new entrance on the South side of the station, the furthest possible point from the platforms.
I thought the new HS2-only platforms were to be to the south of the current station and almost perpendicular? The last new platform, 0, was for easier Bradford services.

classic33

I thought the new HS2-only platforms were to be to the south of the current station and almost perpendicular? The last new platform, 0, was for easier Bradford services.
The new platforms, 0 & 00, were built in what was the carpark of the current station. Well within the boundary of the old Leeds station. Still leaving two unused platforms connectivity

Platforms one to six are used for Aire Valley services. Different rolling stock.

The last option for the seperate station would have seen Crown Point Retail Park flattened. "The Dalek" would have gone for the planned walkway* connecting the two. Before that, the station was to be built at Holbeck Junction. Newly built platform 17 before that.

*"Tornado Alley" would have rendered the walkway unusable had it remained in place.

classic33

Improved/easier services to Bradford was, and is reliant, on a third station being built. Out by the St. James's Market site. Further increasing the distance between stations in Bradford. The nearby, current, industrial estate is built on a former goods yard, with easy access to the current line. Rail access recently removed from this site when they replaced and upgraded the track.

The new station wouldn't be serving anywhere past there. The old trans pennine route was put out to grass many years ago, when Bradford ceased to have a one an hour service from Manchester. Bypassed further out by the loop that took trains to Leeds from Manchester and vice versa. Tunnel sealed at either end, when the current Interchange became fully operational, later filled in when the present industrial estate was built on top of it.

People wanted the two current stations moved in closer together, as they once were, when the Bradford Exchange* was in use, and when the Forster Square station was closer to the city centre. The Post Office sorting office was built as part of the then Midland Station(The Midland Hotel being the entrance), while Canal Road still has the boundary wall of the PO sorting office.

*Now the site of the Bradford Combined Court Centre, built when the city centre was redeveloped and the police station and county court were moved to seperate, purpose built buildings. The magistrates Court remained in the place it was built in the 70's.

The Bradford and Bingley Building Society offices from the same area, were moved onto the newer, much smaller bus station half of the Interchange.

Last edited:
Top Bottom