Is the commonwealth no longer relevant?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Veteran
The Commonwealth games look set to be cancelled, with the cost of hosting outweighing any benefits. Plus the cachet of being host no longer exists as the games and institution have little relevance to the modern world.
I know all roads don’t lead to Brexit. But this little island is increasingly looking very isolated and irrelevant.
From a personal perspective I’d be sad to see it go, but find it difficult to justify. And since the death of the queen it just seem inevitable now.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-66229574

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
The Commonwealth games look set to be cancelled, with the cost of hosting outweighing any benefits. Plus the cachet of being host no longer exists as the games and institution have little relevance to the modern world.
I know all roads don’t lead to Brexit. But this little island is increasingly looking very isolated and irrelevant.
From a personal perspective I’d be sad to see it go, but find it difficult to justify. And since the death of the queen it just seem inevitable now.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-66229574

Can’t say I will miss it, or, shed a tear personally.

What “benefit” are we missing out on?

Pale Rider

Veteran
The Commonwealth has 56 member countries representing 3.5bn people, making it one of the largest organisation of its type.

Countries appear keen to join, and overall the it appears in rude health.

Losing the games would be a setback, but I guess it's like the Eurovision Song Contest - the event remains prestigious although it can be a struggle to find someone to pay for it.

Can’t say I will miss it, or, shed a tear personally.

What “benefit” are we missing out on?

Benefits outlined in the link below.

It's all a bit airy-fairy for the likes of me, but I guess it is worthwhile.

https://thecommonwealth.org/

Once a Wheeler

The other post-colonial powers such as the Netherlands, Spain, Portugal, France still retain enhanced relationships with their former territories but none seems to have given birth to an international club with a strong cultural and sporting dimension. The main dynamic of the Commonwealth is economic so perhaps it too is losing its social dimension. It could just be part of the transition to global social groups in cyberspace where the sense of community stems from personal affinity rather than shared national history. Personally, I find it interesting rather than concerning.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
The Commonwealth has 56 member countries representing 3.5bn people, making it one of the largest organisation of its type.

Countries appear keen to join, and overall the it appears in rude health.

Losing the games would be a setback, but I guess it's like the Eurovision Song Contest - the event remains prestigious although it can be a struggle to find someone to pay for it.

Benefits outlined in the link below.

It's all a bit airy-fairy for the likes of me, but I guess it is worthwhile.

https://thecommonwealth.org/

I meant the benefit of the Games, not, the organisation after which they are named.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
The cost and logistics of hosting anything like this means there's a very limited number of countries actually to host it. I'd rather see it slimmed down to a point where the less wealthy countries an afford to host it.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
They were held in Glasgow in 2014 and while I didn’t attend, the city was enlivened by the many visitors from participating countries and tourists. I really enjoyed the various countries’ colourful bands practising their music along the riverside near my office each day.
It gave that part of the city a real carnival atmosphere.

Pale Rider

Veteran
The cost and logistics of hosting anything like this means there's a very limited number of countries actually to host it. I'd rather see it slimmed down to a point where the less wealthy countries an afford to host it.

A good solution, there are some countries in the Commonwealth which are not much bigger than my back garden.

It would be great if they could be given the chance to host an international event.

But it seems to me there is pressure on both the Commonwealth and Olympic games to add events, not reduce them.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I'd like to see the bigger countries chip in to help the smaller ones host the Games. Maybe even split the events between 2 neighbouring countries. They do similar with the Winter Olympics where mountain skiing can be miles away from the other stuff. Could be a huge tourism boost for some of these smaller nations. I think we've probably got used to the Olympics and the CG, and the World Cup, being such huge spectacles perhaps nobody wants to put on a more low key but economically viable event.

Top Bottom