Jeremy Hunt cuts NI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Tongue twister, innit. What are you buying with your new found wealth?

albion

Guru
Considering our debt this is almost Liz Truss territory.

Beebo

Veteran
Tongue twister, innit. What are you buying with your new found wealth?

With the total 4% cut it actually works out at over £100 a month for me, so not an inconsiderable amount. But it’s a bribe pure and simple.
I would far rather the money went on services. But if they are going to give me money I will spend it, not save it, as it is best to work this money into the economy.
I fully expect and hope this will be reversed by Labour.

D

Deleted member 121

Id rather that 2p cut wasn't a thing and was instead just invested in one of the many public services dying on its arse. But it's difficult to translate that into a catchy news headline just before an election.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
They should have put tax up 2p and ringfenced it for the NHS. Vote winner. Saw online that cigarettes will now be £16 a packet, which can't be accurate surely. Thought they were about a tenner.

ebikeerwidnes

They are putting some sort of tax on Vapes

it comes in in September 2026

so basically way in the future but it shows intent to people who want this but without actually doing anything
then when it comes in everyone forgets it was them and blames the next government which won;t be Tory

and they don;t have to fund all the things needed to collect and enforce it before it comes in

AndyRM

Elder Goth
They should have put tax up 2p and ringfenced it for the NHS. Vote winner. Saw online that cigarettes will now be £16 a packet, which can't be accurate surely. Thought they were about a tenner.

Closer to £15, depending on the brand.

A large (50g) pouch of rolling tobacco will set you back north of £30.

The price of being a smoker has skyrocketed over the last decade or so.

CXRAndy

Veteran
Not a bad thing at all, a habit which directly effects anyone within 20 yards.

Vapes are no better, sweet smelling to keep the users hooked. Fatty lung conditions

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I hate vapes. If anything the smell lingers more than actual cigarette smoke. It started out as a way to give up smoking but seems to have become a hobby in itself. Horrible thing.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Not a bad thing at all, a habit which directly effects anyone within 20 yards.

Vapes are no better, sweet smelling to keep the users hooked. Fatty lung conditions

That may have been true before smokefree legislation came into effect, but the evidence in countries where it exists shows a massive decline in the effects of second hand smoke.

When the price of tobacco goes up people seem to say "Good, smoking is awful", but the price of a pint going up causes folk to lose their minds; alcohol is just as damaging, if not more so.

I do agree about vaping though. I had my suspicions when they were launched because it seemed like there wasn't any real knowledge about what else went into the liquids. My memory may be playing tricks, but I felt that when they came out they were marketed as a way to cut down/quit smoking, but now (like alcopops) they're clearly aimed at kids.

I tried it for a while, and some of the flavours are quite good (the "salts" were my favourites) but the stupid fruit flavoured ones are just awful. And the way some of the tanks/vapes themselves are designed makes you look like you're sucking on a Transformer's cock.

D

Deleted member 121

If you're walking behind somebody with one of those extra cloud vapes on a cold winter morning it makes it appear as though you're back in time on stage in a 1970s rock concert. I instantly imagine I'm Rick Wakeman banging out a keyboard solo.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
If you're walking behind somebody with one of those extra cloud vapes on a cold winter morning it makes it appear as though you're back in time on stage in a 1970s rock concert. I instantly imagine I'm Rick Wakeman banging out a keyboard solo.

67439231_2302838489797545_7842184483733241856_n.jpeg

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
The very first e-cigarettes, introduced in the mid naughties, were specifically not marketed as a way to give up smoking, but as a means of circumventing the smoking ban. I think things have changed now but IIRC they didn't want them to have to be regulated as nicotine replacement therapy. This was back when they didn't produce clouds of vapour and you could use them indoors in the pub without bothering anyone.

I remember the local snuff mill trying to seize the opportunity when the smoking ban came into effect, with the tagline 'smoke when you can, snuff when you can't.

Top Bottom