Judge throws out contempt case

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If the behaviour was the same but they were, say, anti abortion then for me yes I would.
Yes but anti-abortion is still a chosen topic, my point is i understand the principle behind reasoning for procecuting as if they didn't and later on you have an other activist(regardsless in what they are calling for) doing the same they would be accused of only acting when the don't like the political direction.
Apart from the fact that the judge clearly pointed out why they might have investigated that but should have not procecuted afterwards.

OP
OP
Ian H

Ian H

Legendary Member
Would you have said the same if it is an activist campaigning for something you don't approve off?

You're asking who I'd want to be prosecuted for not doing something illegal? I'm afraid to say that no examples come to mind - sorry.

Yes but anti-abortion is still a chosen topic, my point is i understand the principle behind reasoning for procecuting as if they didn't and later on you have an other activist(regardsless in what they are calling for) doing the same they would be accused of only acting when the don't like the political direction.
Apart from the fact that the judge clearly pointed out why they might have investigated that but should have not procecuted afterwards.

I'm struggling to understand @dutchguylivingintheuk's post.

The question they posed at #14 was based on the presumption that posters supported the cleared defendant's eco activism; I broadly do.

Would I then support the acquittal of somebody acting in a similar way protesting against abortion rights. I'm vehemently opposed to such people but if they were prosecuted for protesting in the vicinity of a court as here then I'd be happy to see them cleared.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I'm struggling to understand @dutchguylivingintheuk's post.

The question they posed at #14 was based on the presumption that posters supported the cleared defendant's eco activism; I broadly do.

Would I then support the acquittal of somebody acting in a similar way protesting against abortion rights. I'm vehemently opposed to such people but if they were prosecuted for protesting in the vicinity of a court as here then I'd be happy to see them cleared.

You're not alone.

C R

Über Member
This could go in many threads
1714419923084.png

matticus

Guru
SOME good news this week:
(sorry, can't find any reference outside twitter!)

View: https://twitter.com/JustStop_Oil/status/1784917340225737006

Three Just Stop Oil Supporters NOT GUILTY

🔥 Eve, Josh and Cressie were found Not Guilty of Wilful Obstruction of the Highway at Stratford Magistrates Court after slow marching last year.

⚖️ Judge Moffat ruled that the prosecution could not prove significant disruption was caused, and that their action was proportional.

You're asking who I'd want to be prosecuted for not doing something illegal? I'm afraid to say that no examples come to mind - sorry.
My point is it does create a precedent' it's now about a topic most generally agree with, but it also means that someone on a slightly different topic where potentially no one really agrees with can do the same. i'm just wondering out loud if the response out here would have been the same.

My point is it does create a precedent' it's now about a topic most generally agree with, but it also means that someone on a slightly different topic where potentially no one really agrees with can do the same. i'm just wondering out loud if the response out here would have been the same.

It's a decision by the High Court on its own facts. It doesn't set a precednt though it may be referred to as 'helpful' in another case with similar facts.

The case failed becuase Solicitor General overplayed their hand by alleging Ms Warner took actions in relation to Jurors including approaching them to speak. The CCTV showed conclusively that while she spoke with a friend/supporter she did not approach or interact with jurors. She had no way of knowing which were actual/prospective jurors and those like judges or court staff who entered the building by a specific entrance.

If she'd done something different, for example sitting in court where she could see jury members and then sought them out as they arrived at or left court waving her placard then the outcome may have been different.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member

If you are asking whether, during a trial of someone accused of doing something nobody would support, a person performed the identical actions of Ms Ward, I would support their acquittal then the answer is yes.

We’re talking about legal principle here, not favouritism.

The keyword here is "possible". I'd have thought it unlikely that she would get a custodial sentence. They might just as well have said "probable fine" but it wouldn't create as many clicks.

Clearly she won't get the maximum, youth and previous good character at least, will mitigate but I wouldn't be surprised if she gets some gaol time. Only need to wait until Friday to see.

icowden

Legendary Member
Clearly she won't get the maximum, youth and previous good character at least, will mitigate but I wouldn't be surprised if she gets some gaol time. Only need to wait until Friday to see.
Given that the prisons are at capacity and there are backlogs of rapists and violent criminals to process, I'd say at the most a suspended custodial.

Top Bottom