Let’s talk about BBC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

briantrumpet

Timewaster
Justin Webb, Trump whisperer, is also a problem. Here, he essentially tells Miliband he's not really Jewish. Seems bad.

https://brokenbottleboy.substack.com/p/analysing-justin-webbs-interview
 
  • Wow
Reactions: C R

Psamathe

Squire
Justin Webb, Trump whisperer, is also a problem. Here, he essentially tells Miliband he's not really Jewish. Seems bad.

https://brokenbottleboy.substack.com/p/analysing-justin-webbs-interview
I heard the interview and it was very much in line with what the BBC has become (a sort of weird version of GB News). Used to be a lot better and only reason I listen to it these days is it acts as a radio alarm clock.

Yet we persist in calling it a "State Broadcaster" and making subscribing compulsory. Long past time for them to stand on their own two feet. If their content justifies the subscription they'll have no problems were the funding to switch to a subscription. If their content doesn't justify the subscription then we should not be forced to pay for something that doesn't warrant our money.
 

briantrumpet

Timewaster
I heard the interview and it was very much in line with what the BBC has become (a sort of weird version of GB News). Used to be a lot better and only reason I listen to it these days is it acts as a radio alarm clock.

Yet we persist in calling it a "State Broadcaster" and making subscribing compulsory. Long past time for them to stand on their own two feet. If their content justifies the subscription they'll have no problems were the funding to switch to a subscription. If their content doesn't justify the subscription then we should not be forced to pay for something that doesn't warrant our money.

Not sure I agree: I'd rather they used that mandated role to justify proper analysis rather than expressly tailoring their output to appeal to Reform voters (or whoever).

Once it's subscription, then they have to appeal to people who actually need to be told awkward truths.
 
  • Like
Reactions: C R

Pblakeney

Shaman
Not sure I agree: I'd rather they used that mandated role to justify proper analysis rather than expressly tailoring their output to appeal to Reform voters (or whoever).

Once it's subscription, then they have to appeal to people who actually need to be told awkward truths.

But people don’t want to hear awkward truths. Reference Starmer telling the electorate that the country is in the shitters. Didn’t go down well even if true.
 

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member

icowden

Pharaoh
Webb was awful with his ''if I were a total shoot I'd throw this question at you and then another one before you can reply'' voice. Miliband, to his credit, remained calm and dignified throughout.

I think his stint as leader and the fallout has really taught him a lot about interacting with the media. He's much more confident now, and less afraid of being made to look foolish. He's a much better minister than he was leader IMHO.
 

Psamathe

Squire
Once it's subscription, then they have to appeal to people who actually need to be told awkward truths.
From what I see of their content, that's what they are already doing at the moment.
 

briantrumpet

Timewaster
From what I see of their content, that's what they are already doing at the moment.

Indeed, but if you changed it to subscription, then there'd be no way back to something nominally apolitical (a useful benchmark for other media). I'll accept there might not be a way back anyway, but occasionally I like to try a bit of optimism.
 
  • Like
Reactions: C R

briantrumpet

Timewaster
Just amazing. Not once do they actually mention who the 'protesters' were. Yeah, sure, don't want to upset them.

1000001100.jpg


https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cn746l402vjo
 
Top Bottom