Let’s talk about BBC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I think that's very possibly why.
Imo we need more 'awkward' people asking awkward questions.

it's also worthwhile considering the nature of 'waste' particularly when we're dealing with creative projects, things morph over time, one idea sparks another.

Well of course, but your idea of wisely and efficiently , may not be mine.
Some BBC output is unmitigated tosh (imho) but other people like / value it.

Anyway this is just another bit of Tory dead cat / red meat to try to distract us from the slobbering labrador and the very chilling lurch into authoritarianism that is the Police and Crime Bill.”

May I take this opportunity to remind you, I don't vote Conservative? Just because I don't hang on your every word does not make me a Boris Supporter, Brexiteer.

I've not had a tv for years and gave up the BBC when the Iplayer went behind the fee wall.

I can't say I've missed it much , even less so nowadays as there is whole internet full of stuff keeping me entertained.

The licence fee and beeb are like smoking , you keep on paying for something you rarely enjoy and once you stop you find you don't miss it much, if at all .
Bingo!

I think that's very possibly why.
Imo we need more 'awkward' people asking awkward questions.

it's also worthwhile considering the nature of 'waste' particularly when we're dealing with creative projects, things morph over time, one idea sparks another.

Well of course, but your idea of wisely and efficiently , may not be mine.
Some BBC output is unmitigated tosh (imho) but other people like / value it.

Anyway this is just another bit of Tory dead cat / red meat to try to distract us from the slobbering labrador and the very chilling lurch into authoritarianism that is the Police and Crime Bill.”
Operation Red Meat, along with Migration as well. Clearly these are the big issues of the day.
Maybe No. 10 might cut back on its party spending....

mudsticks

Squire
May I take this opportunity to remind you, I don't vote Conservative? Just because I don't hang on your every word does not make me a Boris Supporter, Brexiteer.
Calm down dear, yes I think you've told us all those things many times, I believe you even....

I never said you did vote Tory, or brexit, or support Jonson*

Just because I dare to mention a political party, or person in a post where I've quoted yours doesn't mean I'm suggesting such.

Really no need to take it all so very personally.

Edited to add * Although I can also understand how even the merest hint of a suggestion that this could be the case would affront many people :rolleyes:

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Calm down dear, yes I think you've told us all those things many times, I believe you even....

I never said you did vote Tory, or brexit, or support Jonson*

Just because I dare to mention a political party, or person in a post where I've quoted yours doesn't mean I'm suggesting such.

Really no need to take it all so very personally.

Edited to add * Although I can also understand how even the merest hint of a suggestion that this could be the case would affront many people :rolleyes:
What's that saying again, something about a kettle and a pot

Milkfloat

My view is that as well a ringfenced general taxation budget the BBC should get serious about it's streaming services to the rest of the world, there is a huge market out there that is essentially untapped. Many, many people simply use VPNs to get around the regional blocking which brings in no revenue at all.

My view is that as well a ringfenced general taxation budget the BBC should get serious about it's streaming services to the rest of the world, there is a huge market out there that is essentially untapped. Many, many people simply use VPNs to get around the regional blocking which brings in no revenue at all.

This so much.

I would much rather hand a tenner a month to the BBC for Iplayer access rather than to a VPN company.

BoldonLad

True. Do it myself when abroad (but, I do have a TV licence). Is it actually possible to prevent this?

Milkfloat

Nope. The BBC do try to block VPNs but they always find a way round any changes. They just update their software.
The best way would be to tie access to a licence rather than a post code and a tick box. Make it work like other streaming services, your account gives access to x number of concurrent users.

PK99

Regular
But imagine losing R4....

They've been the soundtrack to our lives
for many a year.

I have friends of all political persuasions who would readily agree with that sentiment, but who, over the course of the pandemic, have found themselves switching off because of the biased covereage.

mudsticks

Squire
I have friends of all political persuasions who would readily agree with that sentiment, but who, over the course of the pandemic, have found themselves switching off because of the biased covereage.

I have got a bit p'd off with interviewers not being bold enough to press a point when gov ministers obfuscate, dissemble, and distract, yes me too.

But still we're not quite down to Gbeebies level, just yet.

Top Bottom