Let’s talk about BBC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Veteran
It seems to be a hot topic at the moment so discuss away.

The BBC has a charter to Inform, Educate and entertain.

They provide TV channels, Radio stations, catch up, websites and world service.
This is simply not possible under a commercial model.

High quality childrens TV, regional news, weather forecasts, religious output, and much more simply couldn’t be provided without the license fee or coming from general taxation. And no streaming services provide any of this.
But the BBC needs to remain fully independent with a continuing view to impartiality.

fozy tornip

fozympotent
You've nailed it.
How can the BBC remain impartial when it's remit is to Inform, Educate and Entertain?
For balance must it not give equal time to misinforming, rendering ignorant and boring its audience, in the manner, say, of a Nadine Dorries novel?

dutchguy for Director General. You heard it here first.

Agree with @Beebo 100%

For 43p a day I get more than "value for money" from all the different platforms I access: live TV, iPlayer, radio, BBC Sounds, website...

But perhaps the funding model does need to be reformed by scrapping the license and paying for it out of a protected and progressive levy out of taxation.

It's a universal service and we should all pay for it, even if we choose not to benefit from it.

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
Both the US and Australia have high quality public service broadcasting, but it tends to be niche, especially since digital tech, and the resulting shift to subscription models.

I will worry for the UK as we could go from a universal service to something restricted without a similar evolution.

Salty seadog

Aunty is one of the UK's finest assets in its quality, breadth and depth of output. No one is left out of its consideration. I agree that general taxation is the best/most progressive way to fund it. I am passionate about its independence and this is also in the sights of the Tories.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Agree with @Beebo 100%

For 43p a day I get more than "value for money" from all the different platforms I access: live TV, iPlayer, radio, BBC Sounds, website...

But perhaps the funding model does need to be reformed by scrapping the license and paying for it out of a protected and progressive levy out of taxation.

It's a universal service and we should all pay for it, even if we choose not to benefit from it.
I broadly agree with this, but have concerns about a taxation levy as I fear this would increase the direct involvement of politicians in the BBC, and the neutering of criticism/taking to account of the government of the day.

Salty seadog

I broadly agree with this, but have concerns about a taxation levy as I fear this would increase the direct involvement of politicians in the BBC, and the neutering of criticism/taking to account of the government of the day.

Will HM gov already has its hands on the BBC purse strings. I would like to see its funding in any model protected, (as well as its independence), maybe using a similar ratchet as the pensions triple lock.

I believe it is that valuable to the country.

Indeed, but an update to the Royal Charter would be needed to protect the funding and impartiality of the BBC which ever party was in power.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Agree with @Beebo 100%

That sounds like a good idea, a sort of Poll Tax, yes, I am sure that wouldn't go down wonderfully.

BoldonLad

Will HM gov already has its hands on the BBC purse strings. I would like to see its funding in any model protected, (as well as its independence), maybe using a similar ratchet as the pensions triple lock.

I believe it is that valuable to the country.

Yes, that survived well didn't it?

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Thanks for your contribution, and it's fine to join in.
Tbf to @BoldonLad There will be objections from people who never or rarely watch BBC whatever form of non voluntary payment is proposed.

I doubt whether the existing terrestrial commercial channels, or Sky, would be happy with a commercial BBC as they would potentially lose a lot of advertising revenue.

Last edited:

Salty seadog

Yes, that survived well didn't it?
It's still there.

However stacked up against the billions wasted on track and trace and the billions they leaked from covid support schemes that they will never recover it does rather expose the Tories priorities, guess what? It ain't you and it ain't me.

BoldonLad

It's still there.

However stacked up against the billions wasted on track and trace and the billions they leaked from covid support schemes that they will never recover it does rather expose the Tories priorities, guess what? It ain't you and it ain't me.

I thought one of the three "locks" had been ditched, temporarily(?), because it meant too high an increase?, if so, it sort of defeats the objective, surely?

Last edited:
Top Bottom