Maureen Lipman: Cancel culture could wipe out comedy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Really?
I'm sure she and her diaspora would be laughing their socks over a Palestinian/Moslem comic ripping the piss out out of them with jokes based on spiteful Jewish stereotypes. There are plenty good comics out there demonstrating she's wrong and out of touch without resorting to Bernard Manning or Jim Davidson levels of gay wit and repartee....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59703257

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
She'll cheer up if her agent gets her the gig flogging shares in the privatised health service.

matticus

Guru
Really?
I'm sure she and her diaspora would be laughing their socks over a Palestinian/Moslem comic ripping the piss out out of them with jokes based on spiteful Jewish stereotypes. There are plenty good comics out there demonstrating she's wrong and out of touch without resorting to Bernard Manning or Jim Davidson levels of gay wit and repartee....

Where do you put David Baddiel in this? A "good comic"?

PK99

Regular
Really?

Interesting that your first instinct is to react on the basis of her race not the substance of her views.

You should reflect on that.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
Interesting that your first instinct is to react on the basis of her race not the substance of her views.

You should reflect on that.
I did. I used it as an example because the Jewish community are particularly vocal about the slightest slight or potential insult, which makes her opinion strange when openly suggesting that being insulting or offensive to others is acceptable.

PK99

Regular
I did. I used it as an example because the Jewish community are particularly vocal about the slightest slight or potential insult, which makes her opinion strange when openly suggesting that being insulting or offensive to others is acceptable.

But that was not her suggestion.

Your immediate resort to a racial trope is very revealing.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
The article includes, from Russell Kane (no idea who he is), the following:

"I don't think anyone is saying you can't be offended, nobody is saying that, what we're saying is you can't use hate speech that would prompt a gender-related crime, a sex-related crime or a race-related crime."

shouldn't that read:

"I don't think anyone is saying you can't be offended, nobody is saying that, what we're saying is you can't use speech that would prompt a crime."

matticus

Guru
The article includes, from Russell Kane (no idea who he is), the following:
I do actually know who he is - wow, down with the kids or wot?? - and he's a bright guy, with a lot of interesting stuff to say.

I found this bit from him rather telling:
However, he does think he and his fellow comedians worry about being cancelled for things they might have said in the past which have since become less acceptable. "I signed up for a website called TweetDelete and all my posts that are older than six months have gone. It's a bit of self-protection."

Last edited:
Top Bottom