Maureen Lipman: Cancel culture could wipe out comedy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matticus

Guru
n.b. Is an apology using American English - if in fact you're a native English speaker - the equivalent of saying sorry with your fingers crossed behind your back.??
:whistle:
I would be dishonest if I apologised apologized for being a slave to the spellchecker.

Your thinking was far more sofisticated than mine :notworthy:

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
n.b. Is an apology using American English - if in fact you're a native English speaker - the equivalent of saying sorry with your fingers crossed behind your back.??

Sorry to be the pendant here...

Apologize is correct as the root of the word is Greek but the -ise suffix became standard in British English making it simpler by not needing to know which words came from Greek and would take -ize and which came from Latin/French and would take -ise.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru

Apologize is correct as the root of the word is Greek but the -ise suffix became standard in British English making it simpler by not needing to know which words came from Greek and would take -ize and which came from Latin/French and would take -ise.
As explained in an episode of Morse!

swansonj

Regular

So what, in your mind, is the difference between "standard" and "correct"?

Massive thread diversion, apologies to anyone who still cares about Maureen Lipman^_^

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
An excellent defence of the spelling convention.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
So what, in your mind, is the difference between "standard" and "correct"?

Massive thread diversion, apologies to anyone who still cares about Maureen Lipman^_^
Standard = acceptable in BE.
Correct = not wrong, etymologically accurate.

Just my opinion of course, I’m no linguist.

Beebo

Veteran
Jimmy Carr is the target of Cancel
Culture today.
His joke about gypsies was crass but I believe the bigger picture was to reflect the fact that no one seems to care about the other holocaust victims.
But only he knows.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Jimmy Carr is the target of Cancel
Culture today.
His joke about gypsies was crass but I believe the bigger picture was to reflect the fact that no one seems to care about the other holocaust victims.
But only he knows.
I see that the cancelling is being threatened by woke lefty snowflake Nadine Dorries.

Top Bottom