Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Regular
I think the reason the debt's been paid now rather than 6 years ago is that we suddenly find ourselves wanting to do oil deals in the wake of the Russian sanctions. Ratcliffe was just a side-effect.
Absolutely 100%

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
In addition to which she will still have family and friends in Iran and so is hardly in a position to be either bigging up the UK government nor criticising the Iranian regime, unless she wants them to bear the consequences. Ridiculous that after what she has been through she is being expected to act like a rescued Disney princess rather than a very traumatised person.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
In addition to which she will still have family and friends in Iran and so is hardly in a position to be either bigging up the UK government nor criticising the Iranian regime, unless she wants them to bear the consequences. Ridiculous that after what she has been through she is being expected to act like a rescued Disney princess rather than a very traumatised person.
Some people seem to be quite angry because she 'disagreed with her husband'.

mudsticks

Squire
Oh but that's the narrative isn't it .??

She was 'rescued'
And should be 'grateful'

Rather than having been unjustly incarcerated, and had those precious first years of her child's life stolen from her in no little part by 'our' governments indifference and incompetence.

matticus

Guru
I think the reason the debt's been paid now rather than 6 years ago is that we suddenly find ourselves wanting to do oil deals in the wake of the Russian sanctions. Ratcliffe was just a side-effect.
Indeed.
My rose-tinted specs view of Cold War diplomacy says that someone (e.g. from the FO) would have had a quiet word with her; apologised sincerely and profusely, then explained this reality - totally off the record of course. Then asked her to keep her mouth shut, if possible, in public.

Not sure how likely that is under Ms Truss ...

matticus

Guru
... had those precious first years of her child's life stolen from her ...
This is so sad. I hadn't realised quite how tragic, until reading the papers this weekend. 8yo kid, mum's been in a foreign prison for 7 of those years. Impossible to fully put yourself in those shoes :sad:

Beebo

Veteran
Well she's probably one of those 'stroppy' 'opinionated' women, with a mind of her own.

They're the worst 🙄
You’d imagine that she’s probably quite a strong willed woman to have kept going for so long.
Did people really expect her to be all meek and mild. She married a man who ran an impassioned campaigning for the last 6 years, I hardly expected her to be a wall flower.

Beebo

Veteran
This is so sad. I hadn't realised quite how tragic, until reading the papers this weekend. 8yo kid, mum's been in a foreign prison for 7 of those years. Impossible to fully put yourself in those shoes :sad:
She’s 44 years old now so probably lost the chance of having any other children.
I would be absolutely furious.

mudsticks

Squire
Let's face it Nazanin is going to have had to be pretty resilient and strong of mind to stay sane over the last few years.

Resisting the urge to kowtow to the incompetent, buffoons who prolonged her incarceration shouldn't be too much effort compared with all that.

And as for Mr Bannerman.

What an utter bellend.

You’d imagine that she’s probably quite a strong willed woman to have kept going for so long.
Did people really expect her to be all meek and mild. She married a man who ran an impassioned campaigning for the last 6 years, I hardly expected her to be a wall flower.
Yeah, I think that might be what I said upthread even..

But of course it has far more validity coming from a chap :laugh:

It's going to be a struggle resuming / resetting their relationship all three of course

They've had so much stress in so many ways, but also had such different experiences.

The losses the pain the trauma, the anger , it all needs to be processed.

Hopefully they'll be able to get good help with all the adjustments and aftershock..

theclaud

Reading around the chip
This situation is having all sorts of interesting effects, including the US having to quietly acknowledge that Juan Guaidó is not the Venezuelan president...

Anyway, good on Ms Z-R, not only for having got through her unnecessarily prolonged ordeal but for having the courage and energy after it to challenge the prescribed narratives in public.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...nin-zaghari-ratcliffe-iran-hostage-speaks-out

To Britain, where a woman who hasn’t said a word for six years is apparently talking too much. Are you a man who’s got a massive view about how a hostage should behave after a lengthy incarceration? Are you 90% throbbing forehead vein? Do you like your prison victims pliant, and super-obsequious about having spent pretty much their young daughter’s entire life as the cell guest of a theocracy? If so, we really, really want to hear from you! And I have a feeling we’re going to! Can you possibly stow your two-litre caramel latte in the cup holder, handbrake turn on to the hard shoulder, punch in the phone-in digits, and then give a masterclass in how unthreatened you are by the decadent western spectacle of a woman speaking her mind.

Top Bottom