NHS restructure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Here it comes, get the unions ready.

Following the merge of NHSE, NHS Digital and Health Education England last week, it has just been announced that the new combined organisation will be between 30 and 40% smaller within about a year. Freeze on external recruitment and shedding something like 6650 jobs through wastage and redundancy.

You heard it here first, the purge of 'middle managers and bureaucrats' that so many people are so keen on has begun today.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me

Following the merge of NHSE, NHS Digital and Health Education England last week, it has just been announced that the new combined organisation will be between 30 and 40% smaller within about a year. Freeze on external recruitment and shedding something like 6650 jobs through wastage and redundancy.

You heard it here first, the purge of 'middle managers and bureaucrats' that so many people are so keen on has begun today.

Best you put england in the title………i dont want people thinking your clowns in parliment over the border are getting involved in welsh govs business

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

Perhaps, I fail to understand correctly, but... if 30% of jobs is 6650, then, according to my (admittedly shaky O level maths), doesn't that mean that total employees is only c23,000? I thought the "true" figure was over 1 million ?

If the 1 million figure is correct, a 30% reduction means more like 300,000, or, have I lost a decimal point or two?

Another feeding frenzy of redundancies (with nice big payouts), followed by re-appointment.... etc etc

Last edited:
Perhaps, I fail to understand correctly, but... if 30% of jobs is 6650, then, according to my (admittedly shaky O level maths), doesn't that mean that total employees is only c23,000? I thought the "true" figure was over 1 million ?

If the 1 million figure is correct, a 30% reduction means more like 300,000, or, have I lost a decimal point or two?

Another feeding frenzy of redundancies (with nice big payouts), followed by re-appointment.... etc etc

NHS England is not the same as the trusts that employ most of the actual workforce.

OP
OP
C

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Thank you for clarifying that, 6650 employees according to Google, now, where have I seen that number before?

Have another go on Google. The combined workforce of the now merged 3 organisations of NHSE, NHS Digital and HEE is roughly 19500, 35% of 19500 is..............................................

icowden

Legendary Member
NHS England is not the same as the trusts that employ most of the actual workforce.

Whilst that is true, NHSE and NHS Digital do employ a lot of people, many at very high gradings, so there will be a saving. Equally it may stop wastage between NHSE and NHS Digital.

As an example, NHSE commissioned Child Health Hubs across London at great expense but did not consult with NHS Digital. As a result the hubs were substandard and used proprietary coding that only the lead trust could decode. At the same time, NHS Digital were developing a platform to share child health data in real time between Trusts, so the whole NHSE project was completely pointless.

Whilst that is true, NHSE and NHS Digital do employ a lot of people, many at very high gradings, so there will be a saving. Equally it may stop wastage between NHSE and NHS Digital.

As an example, NHSE commissioned Child Health Hubs across London at great expense but did not consult with NHS Digital. As a result the hubs were substandard and used proprietary coding that only the lead trust could decode. At the same time, NHS Digital were developing a platform to share child health data in real time between Trusts, so the whole NHSE project was completely pointless.

I have no doubt there is wastage, overlap and gaps, as with most large scale projects, IT or otherwise. As I recall I was attempting to reassure BL that it was not 30% of the wider NHS being considered for the cull.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

Good to hear that nothing much has changed since my NHS experiences.

Top Bottom