Non-binary: What do you understand it to mean?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Regular
OK

As there is no womb or ovaries the person is an atypical male. It is a rare condition, and some PAIS / AIS people will be raised as female, but biologically they are an atypical male.
People with complete ais appear visibly female. Often they don't know anything is different until they undergo medical investigations when their periods don't start. Their chromosomes may be male but they are brought up female, present as female to the outside world and will see themselves as female. I assume you are not suggesting that they suddenly start using the gents?

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
No, of course not, if they have been raised as female. The point is that sex is binary and the existence of people with disorders of sexual development, which are rare, do not prove that sex is a spectrum. Similarly, the fact that children are very occasionally born with only one leg does not mean we are not a race of bi peds.

swansonj

Regular
No, of course not, if they have been raised as female. The point is that sex is binary and the existence of people with disorders of sexual development, which are rare, do not prove that sex is a spectrum. Similarly, the fact that children are very occasionally born with only one leg does not mean we are not a race of bi peds.
..... My perspective is that it's a human trait - I would say weakness - to want to fit everything into neat categories. But the universe ain't like that.....

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member

I think the world is a material place and things actually fall into meaningful categories pretty easily. The nature of a category is that it includes some things and excludes others. You could argue whether a tomato is a vegetable I suppose, but I think the male/female divide is easier to discern.

You could argue that it's not helpful to put things in categories, but in the case of the sex binary it's very important to acknowledge that the category of female is different to the category of male because women are oppressed on the basis of being in the female category. Changing the meaning of words won't change that. Female oppression won't stop simply because we include men in the female sex category. In fact, including them is just further oppression.

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
Has the rise (if there is one) in identity politics (if such it is) anything to do with our broader disempowerment under late capitalism?

PK99

Regular
. You could argue whether a tomato is a vegetable I suppose, but I think the male/female divide is easier to discern.

Actually, that is a neat example, as a Tomato can be both.

In botanical (ie scientific) terms a Tomato is unequivocally a fruit. As are: avocado, olives, pumpkin, tomato, sweetcorn, courgette, cucumber, green peas, chili, aubergine. All are the seed-bearing, reproductive, product growing from the fruit of a plant

In nutrition or culinary terms (ie practical usage), a Tomato is a vegetable based on flavour profiles and usage

mudsticks

Squire
Is the average trans woman more or less oppressed than the average female woman (to use an inelegant phrase)?

All these safe spaces and single sex facilities, wouldn't be nearly so necessary if there wasn't so much oppression, and violence against any women in the first place.

Your average 'transwomen' will see this soon enough once she starts living as a woman.

I can't speak for the trans or binary people I have in my life.

But I think most of them recognise this.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I am almost totally ignorant on this subject, hence, I have not commented. I have read, with interest. But....

Out of interest.

Most, if not all, of this thread is about Trans men, wanting to identify as women. Does the reverse exist, ie, trans women wanting to identify as men?

Top Bottom