Non-binary: What do you understand it to mean?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 28

Ahh well maybe it's that London that's a funny place.

First time I saw such signs was at The Oasis, a LB Camden swimming etc centre just NE of Covent Garden c1980. Still there 20 years plus later.

Seen in several other places since.

Admittedly never saw them in Leeds as a youngster
Thank f**k I live in the Midlands!

D

Deleted member 28

No. Never seen a sign like that in a women's changing rooms or toilets. Not once.

What does it tell you about blokes that they need to put a sign up in the Men's though? If blokes need a written warning about dodgy behaviour, isn't that in itself a clue as to why women need single sex spaces?

At the moment, women can challenge any man in a single sex space. That would no longer be the case with self id. Of course, offenders can be dealt with but that would be after the event. Why make it easier for them to offend in the first place? It's not just about offending though. Just the presence of males is enough to make women uncomfortable in some situations; they don't need to actually be committing an offence.

Why is it women's job to validate transwomens identity? Which is what you are basically asking them to do. We are not emotional support units.
I've often been accused of being sauvanistic, surprising I know, but how can any bloke think going into a Women's bog is acceptable? I couldn't care how 'feminine ' you might be feeling that day or if you choose to 'go over to the dark side' you're a bloke and Women don't want you in there!

mudsticks

Squire
Thank f**k I live in the Midlands!

Yup, believe me, those of us in the west country are quite grateful for that too :okay:

I've often been accused of being sauvanistic, surprising I know, but how can any bloke think going into a Women's bog is acceptable? I couldn't care how 'feminine ' you might be feeling that day or if you choose to 'go over to the dark side' you're a bloke and Women don't want you in there!

Ah - white wine .. ^_^

Thats a top biffer blokes drink :cheers:

swansonj

Regular
I don't know if there is anything comparable in female changing areas but it's fairly common in male facilities for there to be signs warning against any form of sexualised behaviour. If you're caught in flagrante delicto whether solo or en masse you'll be out.
Do you think possibly that a bloke self-gratifying in a male changing room has a different context and therefore a different impact from a bloke self-gratifying in a female changing room? That measures that are adequate to deal with the one might possibly not quite suffice for the other?

D

Deleted member 28

Yup, believe me, those of us in the west country are quite grateful for that too :okay:

Ah - white wine .. ^_^

Thats a top biffer blokes drink :cheers:
No, Guinness, Mild, Strongbow in Summer and if feeling sophisticated a nice Rose.

mudsticks

Squire
Do you think possibly that a bloke self-gratifying in a male changing room has a different context and therefore a different impact from a bloke self-gratifying in a female changing room? That measures that are adequate to deal with the one might possibly not quite suffice for the other?

All very possible :okay:

But really what are some blokes like ?? :blink:

matticus

Guru
All very possible :okay:

But really what are some blokes like ?? :blink:
For balance, I've never witnessed this stuff, or heard of such goings on in any facility I've used.
And I've never seen warning signs.
I don't think it's rife across the nation.

mudsticks

Squire
For balance, I've never witnessed this stuff, or heard of such goings on in any facility I've used.

I don't doubt your experience.
(Or lack of, in this case)

But flashing , and other intimidating behaviour by men, of both a sexual, and non sexual nature is a common enough hazard for women.

So there's clearly far more than just one or two blokes doing it 'for kicks'

Small wonder really that many women want to reserve what few 'safe spaces' they do have for themselves .

If that kind of behaviour was an almost vanishingly small rarity, then there wouldn't be a problem with sharing spaces in the first place.

I don't think it's the sight of a willy that offends most females in the first place.

It's the potential hazards associated with its owner, that bothers most .

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Yes, as I said above, me either. I can see I am going to have to be more adventurous in my choice of venues. ;)

Pale Rider

Veteran
Yes, as I said above, me either. I can see I am going to have to be more adventurous in my choice of venues. ;)

I can recommend a visit to a leisure centre in Stanley, Co Durham.

Not a user myself, but a warning sign was mentioned in a court case at Durham Crown Court.

Given the case was about buggery in the toilets, it's safe to say the sign was being ignored.

Most likely wilfully by the defendants, but given the location there's no guarantee they were able to read it.

mudsticks

Squire

So are you saying if only you'd known about this potential, you'd have been putting yourself out there sooner.??

Well good luck to you, but stay safe, on the right side of the law and do make sure it's all thoroughly consensual ok??

Top Bottom