Political language. What helps, what doesnt ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fozy tornip

fozympotent
I never said any such thing, but why not make up lies.
I was the recipient. I'm not lying.
It was a while ago, mind, but you would better persuade that you've 'looked at your own behaviour critically' in the interim were you simply to apologise, rather than compound the abuse with dishonesty.

Edit: actually don't apologise. As a point of honour I've challenged myself to bait you to a similar pitch of choleric patriotic incontinence this remembrance week.
The game's afoot.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Veteran
As a point of honour I've challenged myself to bait you to a similar pitch of choleric patriotic incontinence this remembrance week.

I'm still not out and about very much, so have donated to the Poppy Day appeal online this year.

I read an article a few years ago which said the first recorded poppy appeal was in 1915 for needy children in South Shields - I wonder if @BoldonLad has heard that.

The Royal British Legion don't mention Shields in their history, tracing the origin from the poem In Flanders Fields, and subsequent efforts of an American academic who promoted the poppy as a symbol of remembrance.

https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/get-involved/remembrance/about-remembrance/the-poppy

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I'm still not out and about very much, so have donated to the Poppy Day appeal online this year.

I read an article a few years ago which said the first recorded poppy appeal was in 1915 for needy children in South Shields - I wonder if @BoldonLad has heard that.

The Royal British Legion don't mention Shields in their history, tracing the origin from the poem In Flanders Fields, and subsequent efforts of an American academic who promoted the poppy as a symbol of remembrance.

https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/get-involved/remembrance/about-remembrance/the-poppy

i know I am an old git, but, I wasn’t around in 1915 ;)

joking aside, no, I wasn’t aware of that connection, I shall enquire of my elderly drinking pals, as to if any of them are aware. Most of them are Jarrow types, so, probably not familiar with foreign places, like Shields ;)

Pale Rider

Veteran
Most of them are Jarrow types,

Which reminds me of when I was at a function attended by the then Mayor of Sunderland, a drunken old miner called Eric Bramfitt.

Slumped in a chair, he pointed at a fellow guest who was wearing a purple shirt and dog collar.

"See that bloke," said Eric. "He's got a funny shirt on."

"That's the Bishop of Jarrow, Eric," I replied.

"Ah," said Eric. "The Bishop of Jarra, marra," then laughed heartily at his remark.

For those outside the north east, 'marrow' or 'marra' was a mining term for your closest colleague at the coal face.

It has since come to mean 'mate'.

To be serious, Bramfitt really didn't give a very good impression of Sunderland as it's first citizen, bearing in mind part of his duties included representing the city at functions elsewhere in the country.

Thankfully, things have moved on, and recent mayors have exhibited general sobriety.

fozy tornip

fozympotent
1636466382311.png

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

As I said, I wasn't aware of this. I did find an article behind a pay wall, here, I haven't read beyond the "free" bit, but, it would appear to support what you say.

It would appear the Poppy Appeal, more or less as we know it came into being in around 1921.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Nearly forgot this one!
Unkers has some weird obsession ...
I have no known obsessions, weird or otherwise.
... with something he calls the 'Victim Blog Industry' (if I remember the phrase correctly).
Your memory has failed you. They are known as survivor blogs. I have a problem with the term survivor as in most cases it is a gross exaggeration.
... but I suspect it is not unconnected with organisations with a substantial stake in discrediting actual victims of abuse.
Your suspicion couldn't be further from the truth. There is an unusual amount of prejudice in that sentence.

Such blogs are usually run by women and are designed to expose malfeasance and abuse, both religious and secular. I have an interest in the religious side, two blogs both in America in my time.

What this has to do with Europe is that the Americans export so much of their errors, both secular and religious, to the rest of the world. I have seen the effect first hand of abuse in Europe from those who have drunk deeply from the wells of such American error, the damage, devastation might not be too strong a word.

Two such errors are the doctrine (heresy) of loving yourself, and men who have a sense of entitlement because they have been given 'authority'. The two together are particularly dangerous!

I fully support the aims of countering this at source, and providing a place for sharing and healing to occur (although I have to say the internet is not really the place for this). The theory is fine. Unfortunately, for every 20 genuine cases of abuse I reckon about 80 are nursing grievances, malcontents, eternal victims who have no intention of ever moving on. Those propagating such errors therefore see this and assume they have nothing to worry about, 'just a bunch of sob sisters', so the cycle carries on. Exaggerated claims and cases of self-pity on display are counterproductive to what otherwise is a very fine aim.

Top Bottom