Political language. What helps, what doesnt ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
...offensive or disrespectful language...
So, are you personally 'offended' by the use of the word 'nasty' to describe a political party who (to use just one small recent example) has 'disappeared' multiple billions of pounds into the accounts of a seemingly endless succession of backers, supporters, donors, close personal friends and family, while in excess of 150,000 of its citizens have died awful and largely unnecessary deaths?

And that it's 'disrectpectful' to liken to Nazism the behaviour of a government minister whose most recent high-point in a succession of breathtakingly grotesque proposals, was to suggest freedom from any consequences for officials whose actions directly cause the deaths of refugees who are seeking legitimate asylum under international law?

If so, you might want to have a quiet little word with yourself.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
People can't seem to see the bad in their language or those of those with same views, but fall over themselves to find offense in the language used by those with different views

Until people stop trying to justify their own offensive or disrespectful language, the situation will not improve. Each side just becomes more entrenched

I could use all kinds of fancy terms, and archaic vernacular to describe the inexcusable actions , and neglectful behaviours of *our* present 'administration' .

Which might be more acceptable to a few ears..
Or else people just wouldn't know what I was saying .

On the one hand we have people saying the opposition is being too feeble in their words of protest, and actions

Other as say some of the language of those on the left is too strong.

Whichever way you cut it , we are being failed as a nation .
People are being directly harmed by our governments policies.

If we're not angry about that, and unafraid to say so, even in stronger terms, where does that leave us..

'apolitical' ??

Conservative' but with a small c.??

All of which is basically just apathy, and I'm alright Jack inattention .

To me that's far worse than the odd justifiably outraged expletive.

Pay Attention People !!!

Pale Rider

Veteran
unlike over the road, there's no tacit rule here that we have to be deferential to the corrupt, authoritarian, criminally negligent UK executive.

Only in your febrile imagination.

The previous NACA board was little other than abuse of the UK establishment, to the point where it was dull and repetitive.

This is going the same way with threads to moan about Boris, moan about Brexit, moan about Patel, and moan about the Tory party.

Well F off and don't reply if you don't agree with it. Don't let the door hit your arse on the way

Oo, a sweary tantrum from one of the little people.

Is there anything you don't whine and moan about?

That's a genuine question.

By the way, telling me to eff off will likely only make we want to post more.

steve292

Only in your febrile imagination.

The previous NACA board was little other than abuse of the UK establishment, to the point where it was dull and repetitive.

This is going the same way with threads to moan about Boris, moan about Brexit, moan about Patel, and moan about the Tory party.

Oo, a sweary tantrum from one of the little people.

Is there anything you don't whine and moan about?

That's a genuine question.

By the way, telling me to eff off will likely only make we want to post more.

Here is a man suffering from petrified adolescence.

Rusty Nails

Country Member

In a forum set up to discuss politics, news and current affairs it is 100% certain that most of the threads will be about the performance of the government of the day, as well as the "performance" of the opposition. There are a lot of people unhappy with the government, as there usually are with whatever colour of government happens to be in power. From what I see the "moaning" posts about the Tory government are, at least, accompanied by examples and reasons for that opinion, rather than just the repetition of posts from the right commenting on the "moaning" with very little attempt to refute the reasons for that dissatisfaction. A prime example is the inability to list benefits of Brexit other than "We won, I'm happy, get over it".

If enough people are happy with the government then they can start threads explaining what they are happy with. One of the concerns that you and some others seem to have is the majority of left wing views that are expressed so surely starting some threads from this angle would encourage more right wing, government supporters, or even neutrals, to join in and articulate their positivity.

Start threads telling everyone what is going well, and the reasons for that belief, with the current state of the country on issues such as Brexit, immigration, Covid, climate change, accusations of government sleaze, lack of success of Labour, the Red Wall.

The solution is in your hands.

steve292

In a forum set up to discuss politics, news and current affairs it is 100% certain that most of the threads will be about the performance of the government of the day, as well as the "performance" of the opposition. There are a lot of people unhappy with the government, as there usually are with whatever colour of government happens to be in power. From what I see the "moaning" posts about the Tory government are, at least, accompanied by examples and reasons for that opinion, rather than just the repetition of posts from the right commenting on the "moaning" with very little attempt to refute the reasons for that dissatisfaction. A prime example is the inability to list benefits of Brexit other than "We won, I'm happy, get over it".

If enough people are happy with the government then they can start threads explaining what they are happy with. One of the concerns that you and some others seem to have is the majority of left wing views that are expressed so surely starting some threads from this angle would encourage more right wing, government supporters, or even neutrals, to join in and articulate their positivity.

Start threads telling everyone what is going well, and the reasons for that belief, with the current state of the country on issues such as Brexit, immigration, Covid, climate change, accusations of government sleaze, lack of success of Labour, the Red Wall.

The solution is in your hands.
You've got no chance.

D

Deleted member 28

Well F off and don't reply if you don't agree with it.
Didn't realise your had to agree otherwise you weren't allowed to post, oh wait, I did really.

Why, oh why, do you bother @Pale Rider ?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 49

Start one about Starmer Paley ? I might get to agree with you and give you some likes... 😁

D

Deleted member 28

Nobody says you have to agree just that it would be better for @Pale Rider to reply constructively rather than moan and froth 'cos the lefties get most of the lines.
I doubt if I told one of you to F off if you didn't agree with what I said you would be calling me alsorts?

Top Bottom