Rebecca Vardy - What a peanut. Discuss.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Veteran
I don’t think she has much of an income. It’s basically her husband’s money, he must be absolutely furious.
He’s reportedly on about £500k a month so after tax it’s a full year’s money.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I don’t think she has much of an income. It’s basically her husband’s money, he must be absolutely furious.
He’s reportedly on about £500k a month so after tax it’s a full year’s money.

Does he pay Income Tax?, if yes, he has gone up in my esteem.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
He will be PAYE. Footballers simply can’t avoid tax on basic earnings. It’s a nonsense to think he can.
He may have other arrangements for his other income streams.

OK. So, he may be paying his full wack, or, he may not.

Anyone wish to quote odds?

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I would imagine like many athletes, tv presenters etc. who have one main job and a lot of other side gigs, that he pays his full fair whack on the main job and the other income is taken care of via being run as his own business, with all the advantages that tax loopholes and expert tax lawyers offer to such folk.

There was probably a sharp intake of breath at the final figure but it won't ruin them. They might have to liquidate a few offshore trusts, if they have them.

The most ridiculous thing is how this got to court in the first place. A vanity project all round and an utter waste of time and money.

Bazzer

ISTR reading a former boyfriend described Rebecca Vardy as high maintenance. He might look at this and think he got away lightly.

Mr Celine

He will be PAYE. Footballers simply can’t avoid tax on basic earnings. It’s a nonsense to think he can.
He may have other arrangements for his other income streams.

The players of the Rangers did. The fallout from that wheeze and HMRC's pursuit of the club led to its demise in 2012 and replacement by the The Rangers, but HMRC never went after the players for the tax they'd evaded.

Yes, I found this quite puzzling. Woman 1 takes Woman 2 to court. Puts her through a libel trial but woman 2 still has to pay 10% of her own costs.

Why?!!
90% is actually higher than some were predicting.

The procedural history, as set out in the full judgment, is long and complex. The Rooney side made applications which failed. She won't get her costs for those.

On the other hand some parts of Vardy's case, like the phone lost at sea, were so absurd that she pays them on an indemnity basis. Normally there are aspects of one's own costs one has to pay even if successful - the Vardy side has been lumbered with these too.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Wonder if she took out insurance to cover it. I would imagine there will be exclusive interviews and perhaps even a one off documentary that might help cover the costs.

I still find it a bit weird that the partners of athletes/chefs/celebs end up being famous just for being their partner. The money and attention is probably quite intoxicating though and it certainly seems to have led Rebecca Vardy to act against her better judgement. I bet her lawyers had their head in their hands half the time.

Which pun did we like best? Wagatha Christie or The Scouse Trap? And who'll play them in the movie? Stephen Graham could do a passable Rooney, I reckon.

Top Bottom