Reporting of Domestic Abuser Being Imprisoned

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spen666

A person was jailed recently for a 20 year campaign of domestic abuse against their partner.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mum-who-downed-three-bottles-29310519

It is interesting that those who so often highlight domestic abuse and the sentences given to abusers seem to be silent, as are certain sections of the media, both broadcast and written word.

Its interesting how people chose to ignore stories when it doesn't fit their agenda.

Are you suggesting that because it's a woman abusing a man that the 'usual suspects' are not highlighting it?

The Mirror report doesn't seem to say how long she got. Other reports, turned up via a Google of her name, (eg Telegraph) say 4 years.

I'd not seen anything of it in my own news feeds. Looks as though drink was a significant factor.

Report says that, like myself, she used to work for the MoJ.

We're not all like that!!!

matticus

Guru
"Defence barrister Richard Pratt KC said that there was "little if anything" that could be said in mitigation. "It's a shocking, distressing case," said Mr Pratt"
Blimey :O

I think this should be confirmation that women DO physically abuse men (sometime very badly), but it doesn't change the statistics that it's most often a man causing the harm and the risk.
Both things can be true.

Ian H

Guru
A person was jailed recently for a 20 year campaign of domestic abuse against their partner.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mum-who-downed-three-bottles-29310519

It is interesting that those who so often highlight domestic abuse and the sentences given to abusers seem to be silent, as are certain sections of the media, both broadcast and written word.

Its interesting how people chose to ignore stories when it doesn't fit their agenda.

What is this 'agenda' of which you speak?

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I've been the "victim" of domestic abuse both at the hands of a man and a woman. Never reported it, which I guess makes me part of the problem when it comes to statistics, but I'd certainly not agree that there's an agenda around it.

Regardless of gender, it's completely unacceptable.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I wouldn't say the media have ignored it. A quick Google threw up 7 newspapers that covered it, plus other outlets. The Mail have covered it with at least 2 stories. Hopefully the coverage will help other males who suffer domestic abuse to come forward. It's also proof that domestic abuse cuts across all social classes, and again this will hopefully encourage people to come forward instead of being reticent because they are educated or well off and think it's embarrassing that it happened to them.

Blimey :O

I think this should be confirmation that women DO physically abuse men (sometime very badly), but it doesn't change the statistics that it's most often a man causing the harm and the risk.
The problem with statistics is that they often lie. The statistics you talk about don't take into account the suicide rate amongst said abused men, which make sense because death people can't talk and the abusive partner is unlikely to say ''oh yes that was all my fault'' so it is an variable that is most likely there we just don't have any concrete numbers on them.

Both things can be true.
they both are true,

Top Bottom