Solving Global warming

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matticus

Guru
Yes, this one has been banded around a while. I don't like it. It disproportionately affects service industry workers such as Nurses, Carers etc but does nothing to stop fat Pete driving 2 minutes to pick up the Daily Mail from his local shop everyday or the school run pileups every morning and does nothing to stop those with money to splash on gas guzzlers driving about any less.

Petrol money for NHS shift workers etc then. (Yes, complicated to sort out... but the alternatives are worse ... )

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Yes, this one has been banded around a while. I don't like it. It disproportionately affects service industry workers such as Nurses, Carers etc but does nothing to stop fat Pete driving 2 minutes to pick up the Daily Mail from his local shop everyday or the school run pileups every morning and does nothing to stop those with money to splash on gas guzzlers driving about any less.

What about a special Road Patrol (funded out of fines). They could have powers to stop anyone, at anytime, and question the purpose of their journey. If deemed inappropriate, then, a fine could be issued. For repeat offenders, vehicle could be crushed, capital punishment (in extreme cases, ie 3rd offence, or, being a Tory).

D

Deleted member 121

Petrol money for NHS shift workers etc then. (Yes, complicated to sort out... but the alternatives are worse ... )

So nothing for fat Pete then? Short journeys around towns and villages are terrible for pollution, congestion and air quality. Will it work and stop people driving more or will it just cost some people disproportionately more and others potentially next to nothing but still equally or more damaging.

matticus

Guru
So nothing for fat Pete then? Short journeys around towns and villages are terrible for pollution, congestion and air quality. Will it work and stop people driving more or will it just cost some people disproportionately more and others potentially next to nothing but still equally or more damaging.

How about we fix one problem at a time? Instead of being paralysed by imperfections!
P.s we can look at multiple solutions; you're supporting bans on private jets, right?

D

Deleted member 121

How about we fix one problem at a time? Instead of being paralysed by imperfections!
P.s we can look at multiple solutions; you're supporting bans on private jets, right?

Sure. But charge by the mile IMO won't stop anybody driving 1 single mile less. Good for the treasury though which is basically how the green "revolution" works and is misused. Nobody seems particularly serious about how we tackle private transport.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

Unless, “fat Pete” works for the NHS, or, is a cater, shift worker, etc……

OP
OP
albion

albion

Veteran
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...usion-uk-forefront-clean-energy-b2376111.html

'Breakthrough' though it does say near the end 'refused to guarantee the project would still be live by 2040. He also declined to comment on how much more money would be needed for the project to be completed.'

Seems the interview involved the Telegraph so in keeping with that 'Step is fusion's Apollo' 13.

https://bicyclecoalition.org/the-power-of-bicycles-to-fight-climate-change/

Seems logical to me that mass adoption of the electric bicycle almost, in itself, solves global warming.
It might even help the obesity epidemic too?
You mention ebikes, in the Netherlands ebikes are causing an rise in (child) obese and more deaths but that's parly a painted picture as people can cycle until an older age due to ebikes.

Plenty of dutch wear lycra. But the ratio of "normal clothes": lycra is much much higher over there, so the lycra folk tend to get forgotten.

Whatever.
I never wear lycra but yes there are enough who do, but the biggest difference with the rest of europe is that instead of taking the car for a shop, taking the children to school etc. the bicycle is much more favored. one of my dutch bikes for example has a space in the rear rack to put an umbrella stroller on and it can easely fit 3 childseats.

Right to repair is something i feel strongly in support of. There is a lot of legal wrangling of it going on around the world, particularly in the US. IMO opinion, if they made electronic devices easy to fix, they'll just make software the next fight and hide behind "security issues" or such like. Apple had that legal dispute over updates destroying battery life a few years back i seem to recall. They won't go down without a fight and will continue to make sure trendy people buy new phones every year, preferably...
Agree, i have quite a few routers laying around here that could be made useable if i had acces to the software, yet one of the manufacurers ''Technicolor'' has won several awards for being green. Their routers run largely off open source software but they get away with not sharing their sources by copyrighting their own implantations' for example in bootloader encryption.

Probably true ... but at least the old software wouldn't fill up our landfill, rivers, oceans etc ...
There are many arguments for, they main arguments against come down to it hurts the profits of big companies, who in turn have shares/investments/lobbyiest in goverments/''green'' companies/ etc. etc.

What about a special Road Patrol (funded out of fines). They could have powers to stop anyone, at anytime, and question the purpose of their journey. If deemed inappropriate, then, a fine could be issued. For repeat offenders, vehicle could be crushed, capital punishment (in extreme cases, ie 3rd offence, or, being a Tory).
Just move to north Korea if you like they idea of thought police. although surely you would reach certain targets faster, the price is not one i think we should be willing to pay.

Top Bottom