Solving Global warming

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 121

https://bikebiz.com/a-bleak-picture-why-childrens-bike-sales-have-dropped-so-dramatically/

And in Germany, ebike sales are many times that of the UK.
Historically our major roads are a threat to life with many a route a no go area. Right wing hostility to traffic calming is certainly to blame. Likewise with the continued right wing influenced hostility to cyclists.

I don't discount attitudes as part of the problem, but far right countries historically have a pretty reasonable record on cycling acceptance. Not that i am supporting RW regimes, you understand... Instead, i believe that people are in part seeing cyclists as socially and/or financially beneath them and therefore lesser beings. If you're poor in Britain, you ARE the enemy.... It was Thatcher's government, Tebbit to be exact who linked dole dossers and cyclists in the "on your bike" BS... To further support this, there are many instances in the past of video clips being banded around of various road rage incidents that lead drivers to shout down at cyclists, often referring to their inability to afford a car and pointing out that they pay "road tax" and the cyclists should always fold to the motorists wills and desires. In addition, i have witnessed drivers throwing rubbish at cyclists out of the window, spitting and on the other forum i believe someone had fast food thrown all over them. Why would you do this? The media stoke the fires, but the likes of the DM are just playing to peoples built in prejudices to sell clicks and papers. I reckon this is deeply ingrained into society and will take many generations to breed out...

Milzy

I don't discount attitudes as part of the problem, but far right countries historically have a pretty reasonable record on cycling acceptance. Not that i am supporting RW regimes, you understand... Instead, i believe that people are in part seeing cyclists as socially and/or financially beneath them and therefore lesser beings. If you're poor in Britain, you ARE the enemy.... It was Thatcher's government, Tebbit to be exact who linked dole dossers and cyclists in the "on your bike" BS... To further support this, there are many instances in the past of video clips being banded around of various road rage incidents that lead drivers to shout down at cyclists, often referring to their inability to afford a car and pointing out that they pay "road tax" and the cyclists should always fold to the motorists wills and desires. In addition, i have witnessed drivers throwing rubbish at cyclists out of the window, spitting and on the other forum i believe someone had fast food thrown all over them. Why would you do this? The media stoke the fires, but the likes of the DM are just playing to peoples built in prejudices to sell clicks and papers. I reckon this is deeply ingrained into society and will take many generations to breed out...

Todays club ride we were riding along and I noticed on coming traffic passing us with plenty of room just mouthing stuff at us for no reason. Just seeing cyclists on the road was enough to enrage them. They could be passing dozens on groups on their journey. They must have very unhappy lives.

OP
OP
albion

albion

Guru
I have had an attempted shove from the passenger side. And the usual projectile, yet that one could just occasionally come from a dumb litter lout.

Mr Celine

https://www.rechargenews.com/energy...lion-years-bill-gates-fund-expert/2-1-1453118

My built in bias first wondered if it was to read 'attempting at building for a million years'.
And again, it is possible a 10 year old maths genius from Barking will prove it mathematically functionally unachievable
The article suggests payback in the 2030s. This shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the most important law of nuclear fusion, which states that-

'nuclear fusion will be commercially viable in n years from now, where the constant n=25'

D

Deleted member 121

Right to repair is something i feel strongly in support of. There is a lot of legal wrangling of it going on around the world, particularly in the US. IMO opinion, if they made electronic devices easy to fix, they'll just make software the next fight and hide behind "security issues" or such like. Apple had that legal dispute over updates destroying battery life a few years back i seem to recall. They won't go down without a fight and will continue to make sure trendy people buy new phones every year, preferably...

matticus

Guru
Right to repair is something i feel strongly in support of. There is a lot of legal wrangling of it going on around the world, particularly in the US. IMO opinion, if they made electronic devices easy to fix, they'll just make software the next fight and hide behind "security issues" or such like. Apple had that legal dispute over updates destroying battery life a few years back i seem to recall. They won't go down without a fight and will continue to make sure trendy people buy new phones every year, preferably...

Probably true ... but at least the old software wouldn't fill up our landfill, rivers, oceans etc ...

D

Deleted member 121

Probably true ... but at least the old software wouldn't fill up our landfill, rivers, oceans etc ...

Well the point is, aside from right to repair, they'll lock the hardware rendering it useless with software. To some extent that already happens but you can continue use devices at your own risk or with installation of third party open source software. Take for example Microsoft Windows. Windows 11 has a cut down list of supported hardware compared to previous versions of Windows. You can install windows 11 on unsupported hardware but there will be no support and no guarantees. Many will simply ditch perfectly serviceable computers and buy a new one. Increasing landfill. What I believe will eventually happen is they'll simply lock older hardware, full stop, citing security concerns, concerns often manifested by their lack of ambition to support older hardware, further exasperating the issue. People will support this, saying businesses have to make money but the reality is they are massively contributing to e-waste and climate change, which is not profitable to such businesses who are already making billions upon billions.

OP
OP
albion

albion

Guru
Sky, when they made some of their Now streaming devices obsolete, also obliterating all of the free Freeview type apps like iPlayer.

I imagine it is thus feasible that our 50" Fire TV or a big Sky Glass TV can get bricked on a whim.

Last edited:
OP
OP
albion

albion

Guru
The Tory, Centre for Policy Studies is reported by the Torygraph to be suggesting a pay per mile road tax system, starting with electric cars.

It is a sensible, but problematic idea, helping to reduce the number of miles driven.

D

Deleted member 121

The Tory, Centre for Policy Studies is reported by the Torygraph to be suggesting a pay per mile road tax system, starting with electric cars.

It is a sensible, but problematic idea, helping to reduce the number of miles driven.

Yes, this one has been banded around a while. I don't like it. It disproportionately affects service industry workers such as Nurses, Carers etc but does nothing to stop fat Pete driving 2 minutes to pick up the Daily Mail from his local shop everyday or the school run pileups every morning and does nothing to stop those with money to splash on gas guzzlers driving about any less.

Top Bottom