Solving Global warming

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
https://bicyclecoalition.org/the-power-of-bicycles-to-fight-climate-change/

Seems logical to me that mass adoption of the electric bicycle almost, in itself, solves global warming.
It might even help the obesity epidemic too?

Why electric, what is wrong with just bicycle?

Ian H

Guru
As somebody who hates Lyrca. I'd love it if someone told me Lyrca was the reason why the bicycle uptake isn't higher and therefore global warming is Lycra's fault. Please tell me this is accurate...

Lycra serves a function. Sometimes it's comfortable - e.g. for long-distance cycling. If you're happier wearing tweed, that's fine.

D

Deleted member 121

Lycra serves a function. Sometimes it's comfortable - e.g. for long-distance cycling. If you're happier wearing tweed, that's fine.

I don't hate that other people wear it in reality. I don't deny that there is perhaps a self esteem issue but I also hate the feel of it. Just jeans, jumper and boots for me. I take the Dutch approach to bicycling. No car, all function. There's a lot of hop on hop off activity going on.

OP
OP
albion

albion

Veteran
Wot, no Rafa man bag?

matticus

Guru
I don't hate that other people wear it in reality. I don't deny that there is perhaps a self esteem issue but I also hate the feel of it. Just jeans, jumper and boots for me. I take the Dutch approach to bicycling. No car, all function. There's a lot of hop on hop off activity going on.

Plenty of dutch wear lycra. But the ratio of "normal clothes": lycra is much much higher over there, so the lycra folk tend to get forgotten.

Whatever.

matticus

Guru
Meanwhile, this helpful policy is coming in next week (1st April? Oh what a laugh to be had, in light of Gov commitments to the climate!)

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/air-passenger-duty-tax-flights-b2307530.html

Chief executive Michael O’Leary said: “The halving of APD [Air Passenger Duty] on domestic flights from April 2023 has allowed Ryanair to add more domestic routes to our UK schedule.”

... this year will see 150 new and restored air routes from and within the UK between late March and the end of June – including a wide range of new domestic air routes on Ryanair.

D

Deleted member 121

Meanwhile, this helpful policy is coming in next week (1st April? Oh what a laugh to be had, in light of Gov commitments to the climate!)

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/air-passenger-duty-tax-flights-b2307530.html

Chief executive Michael O’Leary said: “The halving of APD [Air Passenger Duty] on domestic flights from April 2023 has allowed Ryanair to add more domestic routes to our UK schedule.”

... this year will see 150 new and restored air routes from and within the UK between late March and the end of June – including a wide range of new domestic air routes on Ryanair.

It's helpful in the sense that with a General Election being around the corner, the MP's can get about cheaply to campaign. They won't want to use trains at the risk of being mixed up in a 'bus replacement service' situation with the NPC's and with Gove busy using the government chopper to campaign channel his Mr Bean-like shapes in a nightclub near you, it makes sense.

Top Bottom