SPLITTER!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
I can vouch for that.

Exeter has been a labour stronghold for many years..
Which seems to surprise a lot of folks from outside the area.
And the south west used to have a strong Lib dem representation too.
Last election we very nearly got an indy /green representative into our area..So close..

I do even have friends who used to vote Tory
Thankfully they've woken up to the reality of what that means for society.
And a few sheepish sorts who will admit the voted for brexit, but fully realise now how they were duped

Let's see what happens at the next round of elections.

Ian H

Guru
And the south west used to have a strong Lib dem representation too.
Well, it was Liberal, mostly. The Thorpe case and the merger with the SDP seemed to signal the decline of the Liberal vote down yerr.
Still, Foord's election shows that things can change.

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
I dunno about the sadness I guess it's the thought that without Scotland politically in the mix 'we' inglanders might be lurching even further rightwards. 🙄

The reality is that it's been a long, long time since the way Scotland voted made any difference to who ends up in Westminster. Would have to check, but I think you'd be going back to the 70s. Scotland gets England's choice imposed on us, whether we vote for it or not - and if it's Tory (which it usually is) - we haven't elected them in nearly 70 years. Ultimately we end up getting shoved to the right by Tory policies that have no support here, and there's only so much the Scottish Govt can do to try and mitigate the worst of it.

Btw nice to have you back! :smile:

mudsticks

Squire
I’m in Devon right now, it is hilly.

Nah not when you've just spend best part of seven weeks somewhere like this*

PXL_20220830_123530499~2.jpg
- it isn't really.

The reality is that it's been a long, long time since the way Scotland voted made any difference to who ends up in Westminster. Would have to check, but I think you'd be going back to the 70s. Scotland gets England's choice imposed on us, whether we vote for it or not - and if it's Tory (which it usually is) - we haven't elected them in nearly 70 years. Ultimately we end up getting shoved to the right by Tory policies that have no support here, and there's only so much the Scottish Govt can do to try and mitigate the worst of it.

Btw nice to have you back! :smile:

Thanks 🙏🏼

Yes that was my broad understanding of Scottish politics.

Which makes it all the odder that the Tory party so don't want Scotland to leave.??

You'd think they'd be glad to be rid of such a nuisance thorn in their side, endlessly dragging on little ingerlands growth and prosperity, as well as being so ill-aligned politically..

It's almost as if in actual fact that they're worried that they'll be losing out in some way if Scotland leaves..🙄

Mysterious..

I’m in Devon right now, it is hilly.

Where you be to now my lover?

View attachment 2267 - it isn't really.

Thanks 🙏🏼

Which makes it all the odder that the Tory party so don't want Scotland to leave.??

You'd think they'd be glad to be rid of such a nuisance thorn in their side, endlessly dragging on little ingerlands growth and prosperity, as well as being so ill-aligned politically..

It's almost as if in actual fact that they're worried that they'll be losing out in some way if Scotland leaves..🙄

Mysterious..

Blimey, the walk up to Castle Drogo's changed a bit since I was last there....

mudsticks

Squire
Where you be to now my lover?

Blimey, the walk up to Castle Drogo's changed a bit since I was last there....

Have to say it's quite gratifying how all our local hills seem distinctly less steep on foot or bike, since our little mountain perigrination.

I'm hoping to retain some of that extra fitness, if not all of it.
And also keep off the stone in weight that I somehow discarded along the way 😇

Have to say it's quite gratifying how all our local hills seem distinctly less steep on foot or bike, since our little mountain perigrination.

I'm hoping to retain some of that extra fitness, if not all of it.
And also keep off the stone in weight that I somehow discarded along the way 😇

Ha! I recall doing the Pilgrims way over a series of weekends, part way through we had 2 weeks walking in the alps, we fair flew up the Surrey downs the weekend after we got back!

Wobblers

Scotland was the most pro EU region in the EU referendum. So Truss decides to talk up the Union by banging on about Brexit opportunities. It's an odd way to woo those separatists, by emphasising the divisions between Scotland and England.

She really isn't that bright, is she?

oldwheels

It is interesting the way in which the Tories have twisted and weaponised Sturgeon's words to make it seem she despises  all Tories, as if that phrase "the Tories" includes everyone who has voted for them.

BBC Scotland is all over this as expected and only gives an anti Scottish slant to everything. If there are no real facts they just make things up.

oldwheels

View attachment 2267 - it isn't really.

Thanks 🙏🏼

Mysterious..

One interesting point is that Scotland is pretty much self sufficient in renewable energy and indeed exports it to England which we then have to buy back at several times the price we get paid for it as gas which we do not use is allegedly so expensive.
Work that one out.

matticus

Guru
BBC Scotland is all over this as expected and only gives an anti Scottish slant to everything. If there are no real facts they just make things up.

The discussion on QT last night (in Musselburgh) was interesting. What she said is pretty clear:
'If the question to me is: would I prefer a Labour government over a Tory government,' she told her fellow Scot Laura Kuenssberg. 'I detest the Tories and everything they stand for, so it’s not difficult to answer that question.'

A lot of Scots commented, all claiming to be anti-Tory, and the overall sentiment was:
"You shouldn't hate/detest anyone, and it's not good to hate a political opponent. She shouldn't have said it."

Several also said that the wording was a clear deliberate diversion from other problems the Scottish government is experiencing.

Meanwhile Fiona Bruce IMO overstepped the mark in stirring the pot, constantly interrupting her witnesses, err ... sorry I mean the panelists.

oldwheels

The discussion on QT last night (in Musselburgh) was interesting. What she said is pretty clear:
'If the question to me is: would I prefer a Labour government over a Tory government,' she told her fellow Scot Laura Kuenssberg. 'I detest the Tories and everything they stand for, so it’s not difficult to answer that question.'

A lot of Scots commented, all claiming to be anti-Tory, and the overall sentiment was:
"You shouldn't hate/detest anyone, and it's not good to hate a political opponent. She shouldn't have said it."

Several also said that the wording was a clear deliberate diversion from other problems the Scottish government is experiencing.

Meanwhile Fiona Bruce IMO overstepped the mark in stirring the pot, constantly interrupting her witnesses, err ... sorry I mean the panelists.

According to what I have read elsewhere local Scots were notably absent. One local said he had lived there all his life and had seen none of them before. None so far as he could see came from Musselburgh and the comments were along the lines of there were more plants than a garden centre.
Par for the course as the audience is carefully picked to ensure the result comes across as the BBC wants it to be.

Top Bottom