Student Loan Interest Rate to hit 12%

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
Continuing the ongoing project of making sure that further education is a privilege for the right people. With an optional capital 'R', of course.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I'm not 100% against student loans but a sensible system would have them much lower, with government subsidising most of it. It's turned young people into cash cows for unis, many of whom offer courses that are terrible value for money.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Since I belong to a generation which enjoyed “free” university education (although, I didn’t personally avail myself of it), I am very uncomfortable with fees for students. But, according to BBC the “interest rate” is to drop to 0% in the near future. This system is not a “loan”, it is a Student Tax, and, we should call it such. IMHO.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Nah , just quoting auntie beeb.
Only graduates earning around £50,000 plus will be paying that 12% for a few months in 2022-2023.

"The maximum rate will reach an eye-watering level of 12% between September 2022 and February 2023 and a low of around zero between September 2024 and March 2025"

It's a shame that you forgot to mention the bit about the rate dropping to 0% a few months later. That isn't such a good government bashing headline though is it?

OP
OP
Cirrus

Cirrus

Only graduates earning around £50,000 plus will be paying that 12% for a few months in 2022-2023.

"The maximum rate will reach an eye-watering level of 12% between September 2022 and February 2023 and a low of around zero between September 2024 and March 2025"

It's a shame that you forgot to mention the bit about the rate dropping to 0% a few months later. That isn't such a good government bashing headline though is it?
Why is it a shame, I simply reflected the BBC article, which is underpinned by the IFS.

No hyperbole, no embellishments. In fact I started by pointing out that Blair, brought in the fees, bemoaning Clegg for going back on his promise not to raise the fees, and then pouring vitriol on the current gov for keeping the fees going.

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
Closing tax avoidance/evasion loopholes makes the student grant, effectively, a student loan.

No representation without taxation.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Innit funny how my NHS pension is linked to CPI yet student loan repayments are linked to RPI...

Top Bottom