The B.B.I. Would you boycott it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Veteran
https://www.newcivilengineer.com/la...d-switch-to-imperial-measurements-13-10-2022/

This one of course came from the certifiable genius Jacob Rees-Mogg’s.
If you remember this was his so called consumer consultation question. “If you had a choice, would you want to purchase items: i) in imperial units ii) in imperial units alongside a metric equivalent.” ?

It seems, I thought for fairly obvious reasons, we could become the only country trading using imperial measurements.
I already boycott shops predominantly using imperial, even though I know the easy way to multiply by 2.2.

It will be interesting to see how it runs, especially with Mogg finding it increasingly neccessary to appear sane.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
They've leapt from buying goods to building bridges. Has anybody suggested we use imperial units for engineering projects? I'm a scientist and parts for our analysers for example use both, due to the influence of the United States I suppose.

As a country we don't exclusively use one or the other system.

OP
OP
albion

albion

Veteran
Which shops do you boycott then?

Mainly market stalls and the small weigh your own shops that use imperial. I already had boycotted the ones with the metric being alongside but ultra small.

However, it is worth noting that the prices in these shops still tend to be higher than places that use metric.
As mentioned in my link, going to imperial is quite problematic. However, in the isolated sphere of Brexit, I admit it can be logical.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 28

Not sure I agree with a boycott, but apart from pints everything else is sold in ml.
Spirits 25ml
Wine 125-250ml
Bottled beers 330-500ml

He said ' deal predominantly', most pubs I go in sell beer, lager or Cider which is 'predominantly ' in either Pint or half pint measures, I'm sure pubs with a younger clientel may drink more wine, spirits or bottled beers?

One for the googlers amongst us.

OP
OP
albion

albion

Veteran
The pound shop ?

It is bobbing along now at 25 of them methinks.

OP
OP
albion

albion

Veteran
Could be a nice revenge for the Daily Hail to mandate the riding of the Penny Farthing for all cyclists.
Think of the symmetry.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
I've posted something like this before but it's quite fun so here we go again.

This tubing:

20221014_154651.jpg

Connects to this analytical column:

20221014_154859.jpg

And the whole system produces data which we measure in decimalised time.

But although it seems weird, it actually reinforces the point that the civil engineers were making. It's not about the units themselves, it's about standardisation. That 1/16" tubing with associated 32tpi fittings is industry standard, and regardless of the fact that the columns and other parts are now measured in metric you couldn't suddenly change it. No chromatography system in the world would be compatible and the entire discipline of analytical chemistry would be thrown into disarray. So that's what we use, and it's fine.

Although what does annoy me is when some labs, usually American ones, quote results in daft units like mg/dl when the rest of us use mmol/l or similar. Both metric, both SI units but one much more meaningful than the other...

oldwheels

But think of the opportunity it would give to bump up the unit price on the fly.:whistle:
That happened when we went to mostly metric and could work equally well the other way round.

Top Bottom