The farkwittery of modern life....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 49

Many years ago I had a delivery job. At one of my customers, the housekeeper always had tea & biscuits ready for me. She regarded me as the fount of all knowledge. When I was young, working on the farm, one of the men would come in and ask for a match to start the tractor. I never knew whether he was joking or serious. I was able to tell her that he probably was serious (see methods of pre-heating old diesel engines).
Another thing she asked (she was ruddy, short, and round) – When I was young [etc] some of the lads used to call me Dexter. I never knew why. I found that one difficult to answer without being too personal.
Reminded me of my dad when I was a youngster....he drove a old FX4 black cab and during the winter I've seen him light a fire under it to get it going !

Again - anyone under 30?

Last time I had a handbrake was about 15 years ago.

Had a hire car yesterday, 2020 Corsa. It had a manual handbrake. And the satnav was utterly useless, I was on the A38 towards Exeter and the arrow was showing me on a b road 2 miles away and it kept telling me to make a U turn!

mudsticks

Squire
Reminded me of my dad when I was a youngster....he drove a old FX4 black cab and during the winter I've seen him light a fire under it to get it going !

We used to have to do that under the yard scraping tractor on frosty mornings when I worked on dairy farms..

I'm not sure if it wasn't run on tvo which I think would thicken up.when very cold.

I've just had a preheat fitted to my Ford to aid starting.

I've never had (or driven) a vehicle that didn't have a handbrake.

I'm starting to feel like I'm from another age.. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom