The Pandora Papers.

• Thread starter Deleted member 49
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 49

Not unduly bothered, which is not quite the same thing.

I was honest that I hadn't read it in the hope that people like you who clearly have would give more info to prove me wrong.

Are there any other UK leaders on it other than Blair, or do you reserve your opprobrium for him? :rolleyes:
I have high standards 😁 Allthough I allways save a bit of distaste for Blair....
Blair quote from 1994: "Millionaires with the right accountant pay nothing while pensioners pay VAT on fuel. Offshore trusts get tax relief while homeowners pay VAT on insurance premiums. We will create a tax system that is fair...
Once you accept that corruption is the norm what's the point ?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Not unduly bothered, which is not quite the same thing.

I was honest that I hadn't read it in the hope that people like you who clearly have would give more info to prove me wrong.

Are there any other UK leaders on it other than Blair, or do you reserve your opprobrium for him? :rolleyes:

It is a Black and White world on CC or NACA, no shades of grey. ;)

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I have high standards 😁 Allthough I allways save a bit of distaste for Blair....
Blair quote from 1994: "Millionaires with the right accountant pay nothing while pensioners pay VAT on fuel. Offshore trusts get tax relief while homeowners pay VAT on insurance premiums. We will create a tax system that is fair...
Once you accept that corruption is the norm what's the point ?
Corruption is not the norm in our politics, by any means, and what Blair did was not corruption afaik, just greed.

But it was totally wrong and hypocritical for a top politician like him, and a slap in the face for those who voted for him who could not afford the same trick, especially after his previous comments, to carry through the house purchase under those terms.

I suppose it is correct to say I am shaken but not stirred over this.

He is just another Labour leader who is yesterday's man, and I am more worried (and disappointed) that Starmer has not proved to be as good as I hoped he would be. After three duds (if Starmer continues in this vein) Labour need to take a good look at their leader selection practices.

The Blairs say the office now used by their business was offered 'boxed up' as an offshore company rather than a simple transaction for the freehold (or leasehold) interest. Rather than pointing out any 'wrongdoing' on their part maybe we should be looking at how widespread this practice is for commercial property and closing the loophole that allows it.

BoldonLad

The Blairs say the office now used by their business was offered 'boxed up' as an offshore company rather than a simple transaction for the freehold (or leasehold) interest. Rather than pointing out any 'wrongdoing' on their part maybe we should be looking at how widespread this practice is for commercial property and closing the loophole that allows it.

Indeed we should. But, whilst those with the means to close said loophole, are busily exploiting it, how likely an outcome is closing it?

Far easier for them to simply increase taxes, or, introduce a new tax (Insurance Premium Tax anyone?).

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 49

A loophole doesn't make it right though...The offshore company was created for the purchase of the property.
It was it's only asset, it had no employees, and was registered in a country that has favourable tax laws.
If you can't see how that's not deliberately avoiding tax then we might aswell give Johnson a pat on the back 🙄

A loophole doesn't make it right though...The offshore company was created for the purchase of the property.
It was it's only asset, it had no employees, and was registered in a country that has favourable tax laws.
If you can't see how that's not deliberately avoiding tax then we might aswell give Johnson a pat on the back 🙄

My point was that it seems the property was offered that way by the vendor.

If this is commonplace for high value commercial (or residential) property then it's the whole practice that need stopping.

Other than bringing it to light pointing the finger at the Blairs doesn't move us on much.

Cameron and Osborne were supposed to be clamping down on this years ago.

BoldonLad

My point was that it seems the property was offered that way by the vendor.

If this is commonplace for high value commercial (or residential) property then it's the whole practice that need stopping.

Other than bringing it to light pointing the finger at the Blairs doesn't move us on much.

Cameron and Osborne were supposed to be clamping down on this years ago.

Disgraceful, the only Prime Minister / Chancellor pairing we have had in my life time, and, they did nothing. What hope is there?

fozy tornip

fozympotent
Rather than taking aim at individuals, who have as far as I can see avoided rather than evaded tax perhaps we should aim at the system which allows this.
As Bezos said to Johnson it's not up to me to decide how much to pay, it's for you to set laws that tell me.
Why not the individuals (and the system)?
In the absence of a robust system Bezos is showing us he has the moral compass of a parasite. Why may we not take aim at this contemporary embodiment of greed?

fozy tornip

fozympotent
I mean what does he think as he reclines on a pile of treasure Smaug would envy, and reads of the £20 a week cut to to the UC income of the poorest and most vulnerable: "Not unless you make me."?

Top Bottom