The Tory leadership race 2024.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

My first thought was that I don't have a horse in this race, but of course having a good opposition is vital in our version of democracy.

So my non-vote goes to Kemi Badenoch, who I think has a clear vision and could hold Labour to account.

OK, now shoot me and tell me who your vote, or non-vote goes to, and why.

PS I'm delighted Suella didn't make it.

None of the above....

Beebo

Veteran
If someone held a gun to my head and I had to pick one it would be Cleverly or Tugendhat. Tugendhat didn’t vote for Brexit which is a positive for me.

I would like to see a sensible opposition moving back towards the centre ground and cooling down the divisive identity politics.

C R

Über Member
My first thought was that I don't have a horse in this race, but of course having a good opposition is vital in our version of democracy.

So my non-vote goes to Kemi Badenoch, who I think has a clear vision and could hold Labour to account.

OK, now shoot me and tell me who your vote, or non-vote goes to, and why.

PS I'm delighted Suella didn't make it.

Badenoch is just as bad as Braverman, just better at not looking batshït crazy.

ebikeerwidnes

I reckon the winner will last a few months - maybe a year - and crash and burn

the people to watch are the ones who have not stood and are waiting to pick up the pieces when this one crashes
and they will be the ones turning up with the fire extinguishers

Hunt come to mind - but some others are lurking and saying nothing much

ebikeerwidnes

On a similar point
The new Chancellor was in the House today ripping the old government a new one for their "holes in the finances" and unfunded committements
and all that

Hunt was there to defend their record
and Starmer was there to support reeves

Sunak was nowhere to be seen

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I reckon the winner will last a few months - maybe a year - and crash and burn

the people to watch are the ones who have not stood and are waiting to pick up the pieces when this one crashes
and they will be the ones turning up with the fire extinguishers

Hunt come to mind - but some others are lurking and saying nothing much

Yeah, I think Hunt might not be a bad shout (well, he would, but y'know...), but he's canny enough not to be putting his head above any sort of parapet, yet.

Ian H

Legendary Member
An old-fashioned Conservative writes:-
The British Conservative Party is mutating at high speed into a far-right movement comparable to the anti-immigrant Alternative fur Deutschland party, which last weekend surged to power in the German state of Thuringia.
The fact that this has happened to a party that has been a symbol of British political stability for two centuries should ring alarm bells with anyone who cares about democracy. For British Muslims, the prospect is frankly terrifying.

https://www.middleeasteye.net/opinion/uk-tory-leadership-race-lurches-dangerous-far-right-territory

Reactions: C R

icowden

Legendary Member
It's hotting up:-
  • Robert Jenrick finished top with 33 votes
  • Kemi Badenoch second on 28 votes.
  • James Cleverly and Tom Tugendhat got 21 votes each from Tory MPs
So Bob is still the front runner. Wonder where Stride's 15 votes will move to.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Screenshot_20240904-200522-748.png

Top Bottom