Virtual Rape or Rape in Virtual Reality?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In the online world this could also be very easily solved, by creating a settings tab where you can set what action you think you character should be able to get involved in or not. Saves the courts lots of complicated cases and puts those who want to be in an online virtual safe bubble in that position.
Seems to me like problem solved?

Why does everything has to be made so complicated?

Why does everything has to be made so complicated?

Isn’t asking women to invoke a protection setting analogous to the real life curfew of fear? Surely the pertinent question is why do so many men want and feel able to practice and act out rape fantasies?

Isn’t asking women to invoke a protection setting analogous to the real life curfew of fear? Surely the pertinent question is why do so many men want and feel able to practice and act out rape fantasies?
No it's setting limits to what can and can not in a virtual world, a setting real life doesn't have.(well not effective)
Also i didn't mention gender because we don't know if the person playing an male character is actually male and/or of the one playing out these abusive fantasies are.

A curfew is an often an excuse for not effective enforcement or putting the blame on the victim for example by claiming a certain dress style provoked instead of wondering why the assailant felt he/she had the right anyway..

A setting is just the ability to adjust the virtual world to your personal limits, nothing more nothing less.

I think we probably do, in all but exceptional cases.

Also, how about the more pertinent question?
That's where i disagree we don't know that in the virtual world, mind you if the claims about violence in games and the effect on the players where true we would have had an different kind of society right now. But it panned out differently, with only a few exceptions where you could argument ally see that the games might have been a trigger but not the cause.

And the more pertinent question is very hard to answer because if we could answer that question we could provide an solution, reality is most likely more a combination of factors, just as leaving an 50£ note in a taxi leads to a % reporting it as a ''lost item'' and a % pocketing it. Those % do change a lot if you change the change of getting away with it. (in countries like north Korea there is less rape apart from it being part of punishment/torture tactics there is also no freedom is that the correct price to pay?)

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Isn’t asking women to invoke a protection setting analogous to the real life curfew of fear?
But that is the wrong way round. Everyone in the environment we are talking about has the feature automatically enabled, one has to disable that feature.

So it isn't about making women invoke something different at all.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
Yeah, you either don't understand….

I understand you said the article showed it wasn’t possible.
I showed where the article reported it was. That’s not an argument, that’s a helpful correction.

… or you just want to argue with me because I am me.

I have no idea who you are. Why do you put forward this faux persecution act?

You cannot have your personal space invaded in the rooms unless you let someone inside your buffer zone. In which case it isn't really an invasion and more of accepting an invite.

Not having an active personal boundary is not an invitation. That’s pretty warped thinking there.
It sounds like the sort of creepy guy who stands right beside a lone woman at a bus stop, or sits right next to her on a park bench.

I understand you said the article showed it wasn’t possible.
I showed where the article reported it was. That’s not an argument, that’s a helpful correction.

I have no idea who you are. Why do you put forward this faux persecution act?

Not having an active personal boundary is not an invitation. That’s pretty warped thinking there.
It sounds like the sort of creepy guy who stands right beside a lone woman at a bus stop, or sits right next to her on a park bench.
That a masterclass of trying to make someone say something by removing all context. really nasty move you pulled there.
It was about a feature the article mentioned in the game and you make it sound like @Craig the cyclist is saying something else. Why would you do that? it really doesn't help the discussion.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Not having an active personal boundary is not an invitation.
You remove the boundary from people who you are happy and feel safe to be closer to. Otherwise it stays in place. You are simply making an argument.

Probably you are not happy having a total stranger touch you? But you let your husband/wife/kids/mum/dad/close friends do that? Exactly the same, in fact it could be argued even safer, because a stranger in real life could simply knock your hand away and grab you, they can't in the virtual space we are discussing, it would be like having a force field around you at the bus stop you mentioned.

mudsticks

Squire

Well I asked that earlier .

But of course it's better coming from you, in your manly voice .

😇

Triple this .

It's the old "she didn't seem to mind"

She even smiled"

(Faintly because to do otherwise brings down more grief )

"She didn't fight back" defence

If men really can't understand active consent, really can't understand 'uncomfortable' body language, then just stay the hell away, until you've learned .

Unless of course they actively want to make spaces and places unpleasant for womankind .

And therein of course lies the question..

Why if they do, do they want to do that .??

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
That a masterclass of trying to make someone say something by removing all context. really nasty move you pulled there.
It was about a feature the article mentioned in the game and you make it sound like @Craig the cyclist is saying something else. Why would you do that? it really doesn't help the discussion.

Craig said something wasn’t possible and claimed the report supported that: “Indeed the article even says that it isn't possible...”

He went on to say, “… no-one built that in, in fact exactly the opposite, they built in that you can't do it.

I pointed out the part of the report that showed that it was in fact possible.

The discussion isn’t helped by someone making inaccurate claims.

Perhaps you should read the posts concerned, in sequence, and show me where I’m wrong and what I’m ‘trying to make someone say’.

OP
OP
spen666

spen666

There is another legal angle to this.

If I punch you on the nose when you are quietly minding your own business I have (almost certainly) committed an offence.

If I punch you on the nose while we are boxing I have (almost certainly) not committed an offence because you have implicitly or explicitly given your consent.

In law you cannot give your consent to your own murder, or, I believe rape or stabbing.

I'd be interested to see what level of consent courts decide you have implicitly given by entering a virtual space.

Be an interesting one for lawyers to argue!

No more consent to being assaulted than you give by entering a pub, nightclub or shop

Top Bottom