Who Is Leader of the Opposition?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Not really. They gained 5 seats which is f*ck all.

If they'd been able to build on their momentum for another few months it would probably have been a lot, lot more harmful for the Conservatives.

• Sad
Reactions: C R

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
It would be interesting to know how many seats they lost this way. (Many had already gone in the Red Wall phenomenon.) I suspect Labour's pro-Israel stance may have cost them far more dearly.

In the run up to the election, I don’t recall a single “ordinary” person mentioning Gaza,

BoldonLad

What do mean by "ordinary"?

I meant not a commentator in the media, etc, ie, relatives, friends, acquaintances, people I met in the pub, or “randoms” who I chatted to when out walking/cycling, just too idle to type all that 😊

I meant not a commentator in the media, etc, ie, relatives, friends, acquaintances, people I met in the pub, or “randoms” who I chatted to when out walking/cycling, just too idle to type all that 😊

I think it's an issue in areas with a significant Muslim population as people regard the Muslim population of Gaza as kith/kin for whom the mainstream parties are not prepared to stand up. Starmer made it worse by stumbling over an answer and giving the appearance of saying it was OK for Israel to use food and water as weapons of war.

BoldonLad

I think it's an issue in areas with a significant Muslim population as people regard the Muslim population of Gaza as kith/kin for whom the mainstream parties are not prepared to stand up. Starmer made it worse by stumbling over an answer and giving the appearance of saying it was OK for Israel to use food and water as weapons of war.

Yes, I would agree, a localized issue, rather than a national one, was my point.

BoldonLad

I guess that means all the "randoms" who mentioned Gaza on this forum are extraordinary?

What a lovely compliment!

Not quite what I meant 😊 but please feel free to feel complimented. 😊

More that I have heard more concern expressed about Southgate’s team selection, or the cost of the Rakes Lane cycle route, that I have about Gaza.

May not be edifying but it is true.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Not quite what I meant 😊 but please feel free to feel complimented. 😊

More that I have heard more concern expressed about Southgate’s team selection, or the cost of the Rakes Lane cycle route, that I have about Gaza.

May not be edifying but it is true.

I know, was just joking.

If you'd been out and about in Bensham you definitely would have, I definitely did.

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
Yes, I would agree, a localized issue, rather than a national one, was my point.

Leicester was one of those localities where Jonathan Ashworth lost his previously safe seat. https://www.theguardian.com/politic...s-send-message-to-labour-over-its-gaza-stance

But Muslims are a significant slice of the electorate, particularly in urban constituencies (where Labour are also likely to be strong and therefore more affected by losing their vote) but it's not just localised. I was talking about how Labour might have lost vote share.

Top Bottom