Who Is Leader of the Opposition?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Leicester was one of those localities where Jonathan Ashworth lost his previously safe seat. https://www.theguardian.com/politic...s-send-message-to-labour-over-its-gaza-stance

But Muslims are a significant slice of the electorate, particularly in urban constituencies (where Labour are also likely to be strong and therefore more affected by losing their vote) but it's not just localised. I was talking about how Labour might have lost vote share.

OK, I get that, overall vote share could have been affected, without necessarily seats being lost, in direct proportion (PR again).

As an aside, is one particular religious group (ANY religion) having such influence, healthy, in our society?

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Leicester was one of those localities where Jonathan Ashworth lost his previously safe seat.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

C R

Über Member
OK, I get that, overall vote share could have been affected, without necessarily seats being lost, in direct proportion (PR again).

As an aside, is one particular religious group (ANY religion) having such influence, healthy, in our society?

The influence of Islam has a negative effect in those communities. It can be very difficult to be seen as "not a proper muslim" and there's an unhealthy level of "community" interference in people's lives.

Chromatic

The influence of Islam has a negative effect in those communities. It can be very difficult to be seen as "not a proper muslim" and there's an unhealthy level of "community" interference in people's lives.

Did you mean that or did you mean it can be easy to be seen as "not a proper muslim"?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

Yeah, I get that. IMHO a similar scenario can arise with any religion, under the “right” circumstances, and, again, IMHO, it is not desirable, certainly not to me, anyway.

Reactions: C R
The other thing is that while Gaza is part of the story the candidates are local people, mostly with professional backgrounds and whose other policies also chimed with people in areas with a dense population and a lot of inequality.

Guardian article about Leicester South:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...slim-mp-leicester-south-victory-not-sectarian

D

Deleted member 159

With something like 350k vote swing, Reform would have got more seats than the Tories. Reform came second in 90 wards

D

Deleted member 159

Many people would have voted differently under a PR system (including me and various friends, for example), so no-one knows what the outcome might have been.

I'm talking about the current FPTP voting.

Top Bottom