£15 minimum wage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
And they seem to forget that it will benefit the local economy as people will spend it in their local shops, even if it's the weekly shop.

Also, smaller benefit bill and more tax revenue (VAT/income tax).
Again in principal yes.

Only with our unregulated and deliberately undersupplied housing market..

Particularly the rental housing market, it might just end up in the hands of the same people who currently make money out of charging astronomical rents, to people with little or no choice.

If we could all have an extra five pounds an hour of local money, for local people to spend in the local shops :rolleyes:

Then bring it on..

Universal basic income coupled with a real living wage and a properly progressive tax system is probably the best way to eradicate poverty. Is there an electable party brave enough to put this in their manifesto? Who knows. But I believe this would be very popular with the electorate if presented with commitment.

D

Deleted member 49

Universal basic income coupled with a real living wage and a properly progressive tax system is probably the best way to eradicate poverty. Is there an electable party brave enough to put this in their manifesto? Who knows. But I believe this would be very popular with the electorate if presented with commitment.
Mmm....if only we had someone at the last election with those sort of ideas 🙄

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

Yes, that always seemed an attractive way to go, to me. But, have yet to see any costed projection of what the income would be, what the tax rates would be etc etc, without that, how can anyone make a reasoned decision?

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
If we look at the NHS then, the starting pay is Band 2, currently £9.49 per hour, for an inexperienced entry level admin/housekeeper type job. £15 per hour would put them at the same pay band as a 2nd point band 5 (£14.21), that is most usually a clinician graduate with two years experience.

In broad terms then it is about a 1/3 increase. To keep everything in synch, everyone goes up a 1/3, which would be great as it puts me on about £38 an hour, or £72,000 per year. Wow, bring it on!

Great idea, but how on earth do we pay for that policy then?

BoldonLad

If we look at the NHS then, the starting pay is Band 2, currently £9.49 per hour, for an inexperienced entry level admin/housekeeper type job. £15 per hour would put them at the same pay band as a 2nd point band 5 (£14.21), that is most usually a clinician graduate with two years experience.

In broad terms then it is about a 1/3 increase. To keep everything in synch, everyone goes up a 1/3, which would be great as it puts me on about £38 an hour, or £72,000 per year. Wow, bring it on!

This all seems very 1970's to me, and, that did not end well.......

What is the cost of not doing it?

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
This all seems very 1970's to me, and, that did not end well.......
So not everyone gets an uplift, which will mean a 17 year old inexperienced housekeeper in the NHS will be paid more than a clinician graduate with two years experience. It also means they will get the same as their supervisors who are often Band 3s or 4s, but who would only get uplifted to £15.

I can see you have thought this through greatly.

D

Deleted member 49

As I said earlier 🙄
I wonder how many people who say this is a crazy idea actually earn over 15 quid a hour themselves....paying people a living/decent wage sounds good to me.

BoldonLad

So not everyone gets an uplift, which will mean a 17 year old inexperienced housekeeper in the NHS will be paid more than a clinician graduate with two years experience. It also means they will get the same as their supervisors who are often Band 3s or 4s, but who would only get uplifted to £15.

I can see you have thought this through greatly.

Where did I say “not everyone gets an uplift”?

I know it may be hard to grasp, but, there is a world outside of the NHS

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Where did I say “not everyone gets an uplift”?

I know it may be hard to grasp, but, there is a world outside of the NHS
But what about everyone who is on £11-15 an hour now after as supervisors of the people now being paid £15 an hour. How are their increases worked out?

Top Bottom