15year old doesn't join a gang..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Considering we have many pages an counting about what wrong with the police, lets find the answer as to how to stop these ''gang'' from basically taking control of our streets.

I wonder if ending the demonisation of the poor working class might be part of the solution.

If we continue to put kids into a divided education system where many are effectively told they have no value or future it’s hardly surprising that a few will find alternative but sometimes criminal ways to gain respect.

icowden

Legendary Member
So reportedly he was being ''recruited'' to join a gang.. little did he known that refusing wasn't an option.
Considering we have many pages an counting about what wrong with the police, lets find the answer as to how to stop these ''gang'' from basically taking control of our streets.
Well, I think the first step is to wait to see if any of that is true or just a fever dream of the Daily Fail. The BBC doesn't mention anything about gangs or recruitment. Only that the boy had been targeted.

OP
OP
dutchguylivingintheuk

dutchguylivingintheuk

Über Member
Well, I think the first step is to wait to see if any of that is true or just a fever dream of the Daily Fail. The BBC doesn't mention anything about gangs or recruitment. Only that the boy had been targeted.
Sure the daily mail isn't always accurate, but the reports of ''gangs'' aren't exactly new either.
But yes if we wait for the full report to confirm the obvious we can probably up this thread in about a year, when the bbc finnaly confirms it if at all.
Maybe they need to stab a second or a third one? What number would be high enough for them to wake up?

icowden

Legendary Member
But yes if we wait for the full report to confirm the obvious we can probably up this thread in about a year, when the bbc finnaly confirms it if at all.
So you are firmly in the tar and feather them regardless of evidence, narrative and knowing any of the details about the case?

Personally i'd let the justice system do its work.

Gangs tally with the Wail's 'going to hell in a handcart' narrative.
The full facts will presumably emerge at trial. Even if the suspects plead guilty I'd still expect the Judge's sentencing remarks to be published.

OP
OP
dutchguylivingintheuk

dutchguylivingintheuk

Über Member
So you are firmly in the tar and feather them regardless of evidence, narrative and knowing any of the details about the case?

Personally i'd let the justice system do its work.
I do respect the justice system, however, i have lived longer then today and learned to see authorities tend to not want to admit gang activity.
So you can read my comments as cynical yes you could be very correct that it was just random two 15 and 16 years old who tought ''lets slice up that 15year old'' but what having heard now it sounds more like something else. Happy to be proven wrong tough, if facts really prove that.

The cynical think is usually that when it's out of the news all ''daily fail'' like comments are often confirmed, out of view the main public who then re-chew the ''daily fail is always wrong narrative. (not to say that they are wrong quite often)

classic33

Sure the daily mail isn't always accurate, but the reports of ''gangs'' aren't exactly new either.
Maybe they need to stab a second or a third one? What number would be high enough for them to wake up?
There's more to this than can be reported in/on the news. The first arrest, and person charged, was made within hours of it happening.

Whilst they're off the streets, they can't stab anyone else. And one being stabbed, is one too many.

No reports of gangs being involved when first reported in local media/news outlets. These have since stopped reporting anything but the official police line. And there's nothing wrong with that.

OP
OP
dutchguylivingintheuk

dutchguylivingintheuk

Über Member
There's more to this than can be reported in/on the news. The first arrest, and person charged, was made within hours of it happening.

Whilst they're off the streets, they can't stab anyone else. And one being stabbed, is one too many.

No reports of gangs being involved when first reported in local media/news outlets. These have since stopped reporting anything but the official police line. And there's nothing wrong with that.
Ok fair enough, but if we than look a little bit futher to this article for example:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-63038872
Search powers extended, do you typically do that for an ''isolated incident'' ?
and a bit futher:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-62996552
Next to understandable shocked responses, you also she a graph a little below, that shows the amount of stabs incidents, sure a little dip because of Corona but ''22 is making ground on beating the record year.
Alls these numbers together still don't prove the precedence of gangs but saying it's a normal leafy dull neighborhood is not exactly true either. Like some other area's there clearly is an problem. Let's hope the authorities are able and willing to face it.

classic33

Ok fair enough, but if we than look a little bit futher to this article for example:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-63038872
Search powers extended, do you typically do that for an ''isolated incident'' ?
and a bit futher:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-62996552
Next to understandable shocked responses, you also she a graph a little below, that shows the amount of stabs incidents, sure a little dip because of Corona but ''22 is making ground on beating the record year.
Alls these numbers together still don't prove the precedence of gangs but saying it's a normal leafy dull neighborhood is not exactly true either. Like some other area's there clearly is an problem. Let's hope the authorities are able and willing to face it.
The first is standard procedure, try and help people feel safe. The fear of something similar happening might lead to others feeling they now need to carry "protection". You'll note that it extends to and covers Huddersfield town centre.

I'll repeat what I said in the previous post, there's more to this than can be reported by the press/media at this stage.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
How many 15 year olds in prison, in the UK?

Most recent figures I can find are for 2020-21, and, unless I have missed it, don't break down by year, just a single figure, for "children" (ie 10-17 year olds), plus, they are for "in custody" not "prison", I would hope the figure in adult prisons is zero. It looks like 560 in custody at anyone time.

The figures are "encouraging" in that they appear to be falling, but, that could be simply that they are not getting caught?

Top Bottom