Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Yes, I don't know why you are bothering to answer either.

You are right though. Heat is the only US film ever to feature violence. There are no other US films or TV shows that feature violence. Westerns? Was all just blokes riding about. No guns. 24/Jack Reacher? Was about Kiefer Sutherland's passion for butterfly collecting. Breaking Bad? It was a romance. And if you filter out the children's films and tv shows ftom either streaming TV channels, or indeed the top grossing films in US...guess what...no violence. Star Wars, Jaws, not there.

No you're right, and I apologise. Violence does not exist in US culture.

That's how forums work.

Violence exists in all culture.

The Jack Reacher series was written by an English fella by the way.

mudsticks

Squire
I know some teachers that struggle to work an Ipad properly and there are people who want to them a semi-automatic!?

:eek:

I know quite a few teachers who prolly wouldn't trust themselves with a fire arm around their darling charges for other reasons neither.

There's clearly a need to properly protect US schools against shooter incursion in the short term, whilst sorting out the guns and other issues in the longer term.
But expecting teachers to take up arms??👀

I don't envy parents nor teachers over there one bit.

Aiui public teacher pay is relatively low compared with say Europe. Really should be getting extra for potential risk to life and limb.

icowden

Legendary Member
And if you filter out the children's films and tv shows ftom either streaming TV channels, or indeed the top grossing films in US...guess what...no violence.
And of course there were the violence free TV shows like the A Team, Knight Rider, Baywatch etc.
Although to be fair, a UK version of Baywatch might be a little more dull...

mudsticks

Squire
And it's not as if teachers ever get to the end of their tether or have a mental breakdown. It's such a stress free job after all...
Expecting them to act as armed guards as well as instillers of knowledge..
It's nuts.

I teach adults - adults who want to be there badly enough that they actually give me money for the privelege .

I'd find it pretty impossible to do my (relatively easy) job if I felt I had to be defending the building at the same time.

bobzmyunkle

Tbf It's quite hard to run pneumatically along the beach, when you're faced with cold grey drizzle, and golf ball like pebbles underfoot...
Today's forum fun - which Baywatch character are you?

mudsticks

Squire
There was a pithy comment from a US teacher, summat like:

- they want to give us guns? They don't even trust us to choose books for their kids.

(admittedly conflating two different issues, but it did seem a fair point ...
It's quite a thing how the yanks in particular are so terrified of any talk of matters bodily, sexual or sexuality*, and are yet seem blithely accepting of weaponry that can tear literally any body apart in the most hideous way imaginable.

I'm sure there's more than a few thesis that have been written on the repression of bodily expression, potentially leading to inclinations towards violence.

Poacher

Regular
The most strident supporters of the second amendment always seem to neglect the bit about "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State", in favour of "mah freedumb".
Credit to "perlinator" on sorryantivaxer:
232535_bc63d8bd19e24346894bdbaaba91e92d~mv2.png

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Credit to "perlinator" on sorryantivaxer:
View attachment 3514

We might need to have a conversation about punctuation. The same issue which has led to different interpretations of the 2nd amendment has also led to confusion about pay bands in my job.

You've got to be really, really careful when drafting important documents. This is why I'm wary of having a written constitution without massive caveats and safeguards.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
We might need to have a conversation about punctuation. The same issue which has led to different interpretations of the 2nd amendment has also led to confusion about pay bands in my job.

You've got to be really, really careful when drafting important documents. This is why I'm wary of having a written constitution without massive caveats and safeguards.

A written constitution would be great…. For the legal profession ;)

Yes, I don't know why you are bothering to answer either.

You are right though. Heat is the only US film ever to feature violence. There are no other US films or TV shows that feature violence. Westerns? Was all just blokes riding about. No guns. 24/Jack Reacher? Was about Kiefer Sutherland's passion for butterfly collecting. Breaking Bad? It was a romance. And if you filter out the children's films and tv shows ftom either streaming TV channels, or indeed the top grossing films in US...guess what...no violence. Star Wars, Jaws, not there.

No you're right, and I apologise. Violence does not exist in US film and tv culture and there is no evidence of it reflected in US life in general because guns are not in any way fetishised, nobody ever dresses up and parades about in assault gear, and in fact nobody even owns a gun. And you've been there, so you know.

Jezus what an overly indept review of the whole US culture, fooking hell you really showed what a violence bunch they are... *reads about the current murder counter in London, which is in size and population a very small compared to the us.. really makes your point stronger mate..*

I know quite a few teachers who prolly wouldn't trust themselves with a fire arm around their darling charges for other reasons neither.

There's clearly a need to properly protect US schools against shooter incursion in the short term, whilst sorting out the guns and other issues in the longer term.
But expecting teachers to take up arms??👀

I don't envy parents nor teachers over there one bit.

Aiui public teacher pay is relatively low compared with say Europe. Really should be getting extra for potential risk to life and limb.
Yeah that's an ''NRA'' Line ''to protect against mass murderers everyone should have a gun'' their motives to be extra vocal now is offcourse because the shooting before this it took an hour for the police to do something. Now it's two things comming together for them, the police acted properly, and the offender is Trans(activist) not saying all of the NRA is anti-trans but they are in majority republican.

Well they already have lots of measurements, which is also witnessed by the relatively low victim count if you see what a massive school it was. But the elephant in the room is screaming that, alltough guns on itself don't kill having so much guns make the chance and likelyness that the same guns will kill in the hands of the wrong poeple or maybe even not nessacarly wrong people but in the wrong mental state.

So unless their gun laws are seriously revised, their schools change into more of a fortress than they already are, they won't be able to stop it.

Top Bottom