Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
Two this week. The boy first, and then another incident with a group of girls who pulled up on the wrong drive by accident. Whatever the result of the investigations, it's the availability of guns that has led to the seriousness of the outcome.
The learning outcome here is:
  • Shoot a white girl that goes up to your house by mistake = murder
  • Shoot a black boy that goes up to your house by mistake = not murder
Good old US of A

Beebo

Veteran
Good old US of A

It’s slightly more complicated than that. But probably not much. See article below.
Apparently the “stand your ground” laws differ from state to state. And guess what. The black boy was killed in a state with stronger laws.
So as well as a skin colour lottery, it’s also a postcode lottery.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65282084

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Good old US of A

It’s slightly more complicated than that. But probably not much. See article below.
Apparently the “stand your ground” laws differ from state to state. And guess what. The black boy was killed in a state with stronger laws.
So as well as a skin colour lottery, it’s also a postcode lottery.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65282084

Absolutely terrible situation, with no justification, but... according to my reading of the article, the "boy" (shouldn't that be "young man" or "youth") Ralph Yarl isn't dead (thankfully), which I would have thought was rather a requirement for it to be murder.

Last edited:

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Yes, sorry, my fault - I think Beebo was following my lead. I couldn't remember his age off hand but 'youth' or 'young man' would have been more accurate in retrospect.

The man charged was 84. I'm not sure I'd trust myself handling a gun at 84. Presumably there's no health checks once you reach a certain age like with driving over here.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I simply meant the 'approaching the wrong house' incidents. I think the gun suicides account for about 40% of gun deaths if I recall correctly. I can probably think of half a dozen celebrities alone just off the top of my head.

icowden

Legendary Member
Absolutely terrible situation, with no justification, but... according to my reading of the article, the "boy" (shouldn't that be "young man" or "youth") Ralph Yarl isn't dead (thankfully), which I would have thought was rather a requirement for it to be murder.
Sorry - you are correct - should have read "attempted murder".

Beebo

Veteran
BBC reporting another pointless mistaken shooting of two women who approached the wrong car. Fortunately no one died. But these incidents appear to be daily events.

Guns have turned a large section of the population paranoid.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65330696

• Sad
Reactions: C R

Rusty Nails

Country Member
And it looks like it will be a permanent stain on that nation.

It shows no sign of stopping, or even slowing down.

Top Bottom