A Stewart Lee thread for theClaud

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
He's great value but takes himself way too seriously but that's half the fun for I'm sure. I'm more of as Richard Herring fan nowadays though.
Yup - as mentioned, part of Lee's act is the self-deprecation and deliberate pseudo intellectualism - pretending he is more serious than he is. Many other comics (including Herring) also joke about the fact that Lee's routines often deliberately go on far longer than you would expect .

I'm also more of a Herring fan, and I do commend the Richard Herring Leicester Square Podcast which has some truly excellent interviews. Favourites include Stephen Fry and Brian Blessed, Stephen Merchant (just for the awkwardness factor - it was a bit of a Clive Anderson Beegee's moment). Don't skip the people you haven't heard of as they can be funnier than some of the ones with people you *have* heard of.

D

Deleted member 49

Anyone watched his film/documentary King Rocker....it's worth a watch if your a fan of him or early punk.

icowden

Legendary Member
Blimey, it was a lot simpler when you could just turn on the telly and have a laugh at Les Dawson.
It was, but also quite unrepresentative of the comedy scene. On the plus side, to be a comic on the telly you had to be a veteran with years of experience. On the negative side, only the veterans with years of experience got any exposure.

We now see a much wider group of comedians on TV, much more balance with a mix of male, female, gay, straight across multiple ethnic backgrounds.

Maybe we have moved on from mother-in-law jokes?

D

Deleted member 49

Blimey, it was a lot simpler when you could just turn on the telly and have a laugh at Les Dawson.
Was delivering at his old house the other week ....still has people coming to have their photo taken outside it lol.

Pale Rider

Veteran
Maybe we have moved on from mother-in-law jokes?

The media in general is more diverse, but the likes of Python, Hancock, The Goons, Round the Horne, and lots of others pre-date Dawson.

Comedy has always been broad.

I agree it's broader now, although the truly big names are still mainstream reflecting the taste of the majority of the public.

OP
OP
matticus

matticus

Guru
I'm also more of a Herring fan, and I do commend the Richard Herring Leicester Square Podcast
Is that the thing where he keeps banging on about the Human Centipede, and about banging the actress that played an android? I found that a bit wearing - teenage humour pretending to be adult and edgy.
But some of the interviews were very good! I've only listened to a few to be fair. A while ago now ...

FishFright

Yup - as mentioned, part of Lee's act is the self-deprecation and deliberate pseudo intellectualism - pretending he is more serious than he is. Many other comics (including Herring) also joke about the fact that Lee's routines often deliberately go on far longer than you would expect .

I'm also more of a Herring fan, and I do commend the Richard Herring Leicester Square Podcast which has some truly excellent interviews. Favourites include Stephen Fry and Brian Blessed, Stephen Merchant (just for the awkwardness factor - it was a bit of a Clive Anderson Beegee's moment). Don't skip the people you haven't heard of as they can be funnier than some of the ones with people you *have* heard of.

Le-her-rest-ter-per!

I've watched so many of those , love em .

I prefer Lee, but Herring has his plaice....

mudsticks

Squire
Of course down here in the SW peninsula everyone seems to be mourning the death from Covid of Jethro. Jim Davidson was at the funeral. You can find examples of Jethro's routine on Youtube if you're so inclined.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jethro_(comedian)

"Everyone"

Well not entirely!

One small farm of indomitable Gals still holds out against the forces of Gammondom.

And life is not made easy for the legionaries of anti wokeness, who garrison the fortified camps of Honiton, Newton Armpit, and Little Fussing in The Tavy..

"Everyone"

Well not entirely!

One small farm of indomitable Gals still holds out against the forces of Gammondom.

And life is not made easy for the legionaries of anti wokeness, who garrison the fortified camps of Honiton, Newton Armpit, and Little Fussing in The Tavy..
I hope to be swelling your number come June :-) Be very afraid....

mudsticks

Squire
I hope to be swelling your number come June :-) Be very afraid....

Yikes..

Woman the stockade

Charge the trebuchet..

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Sounds a bit like Lee read Maclaine's tweet and thought, 'I'll show you bullying, mate'. Considering that a lot of people find Lee unfunny and insufferable, it seems a bit childish to pick out a very minor entertainer to bring negative attention to, especiallyfor one tweet. Stewart seems a bit thin skinned if one obscure tweet struck such a nerve.

Did you watch the video? Lee's issue with Pasquale was that he stole other comics' material, even had his 'writers' go round harvesting it. The example he refers to is Pasquale plagiarizing from a much less well-known comic. He's standing up against the bully here. He's not the only person to have made such an accusation. Lee is a meticulous writer and his whole routine already satirised the idiotic position that he somehow didn't understand how jokes/comedy/intellectual property works. Maclaine brought the whole Twitter storm on by complaining about being on a list of people/things Lee doesn't like, despite having slagged him off first and being too stupid to figure out that people would simply search his timeline to find out what he had said.

Nimco Ali being on the list sounds like guilt by association then. Nobody is ever ideologically pure enough for the Left anymore. I would have thought there were people more worthy of inclusion on the Naughty list than a campaigner against FGM, but it seems not.

I don't know what specifically irked Lee about Ali this year, but there's plenty to choose from and none of it is reducible to 'guilt by association' - she's a public apologist for the Johnson-Symondses, was gifted a public role through being their mate, and couldn't even manage to admit in an interview that calling gay men 'bum boys' is homophobic, or admit that she was Johnson's mate whilst shilling for him in the media.

I suspect most people will continue to regard Maureen Lipman as a bit of a national treasure despite being on the Naughty list

Lipman, in my view, is utterly poisonous, and if the tendency for unpleasant celebs to out themselves as such on social media (see also Frances Barber, Eddie Marsan, Rachel Riley and the aforementioned Robinson) results in fewer dreadful people being fêted and indulged as national treasures or important luvvies, it's probably a good thing. But I guess she's on Lee's list because if the utter bollocks she spouted about comedy not very long ago.

Anyway, it's only a list - it has things on it as repugnant as Jacob Rees-Mogg and as silly as Lee's Fred Perry shirts. We can argue about who deserves to be on it, ignore it, or make our own...

Top Bottom