A win for Mr Depp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fozy tornip

fozympotent
Because leveraging a sense of peevish victimhood into the Wagatha narrative has proved too much of a challenge even for our triumvirate of gammony assholes.

I thought this was a decent take on the case,re trial by social media ?
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/02/arts/depp-heard-trial-malice.html
What is decent on, after a few detours, basicly come back to ''he is a man'' ''it's masculinity why they beleive him'' etc. etc. Totally ignoring the fact that not Depp but Heard lied multiple times, about donating millions to charity, about claiming it's an fact Depp pushed his then Partner Kate Moss of stairs, about one of her former employees who shared how she was raped with er and she just used it for her own claims.

i mean how can you call anything an decent take if it doesn't take these things into account?

It‘s not OK but it shouldn’t be a surprise that some of the underprivileged have a level of resentment towards the privileged. I find it astonishing that the anger doesn’t spill over more than it does.
That is it not a surprises doesn't mean it is ok, yet we have politicians that instead of saying what needs to be said something in the lines off ''we understand your angers but resentment and revenge are not the solluttion'' come up with approving things like ''critical race theory'' which teaches being white is evil and all cops are bastards, what could possibly go wrong?

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Being totally honest I have no idea who or what to believe in this whole sorry spectacle. I tend to avoid tabloid speculation and trials by media but this has been inescapable and I don't think anyone comes out of it looking good.

Despite the vast sums of money involved the whole thing just feels like a tawdry piece of "entertainment".

Believe Heard. The spectacle may be complex but what happened to her is plausible, consistent and extremely well evidenced. Depp's narrative is a bizarre misogynistic conspiracy theory - it has achieved credibility only because so many people would rather believe any nonsense on stilts about women than believe that a man they like is an abuser. Remember that the reason he lost his UK defamation suit against The Sun because what they wrote about him - that he was a wife-beater - was true.*

*This is the only time I'm gonna defend The Sun, so enjoy it while it lasts.

Last edited:

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Believe Heard. The spectacle may be complex but what happened to her is plausible, consistent and extremely well evidenced. Depp's narrative is a bizarre misogynistic conspiracy theory - it has achieved credibility only because so many people would rather believe any nonsense on stilts about women than believe that a man they like is an abuser. Remember that the reason he lost his UK defamation suit against The Sun because what they wrote about him - that he was a wife-beater - was true.*

I appreciate the link, thank you. Makes the whole thing a lot clearer for me.

mudsticks

Squire
What all those clips in any case showed, and that is not being said so much, is how heard abused the fact that there is a taboo on men admitting they are the victim of domestic abuse,

**********"***

Is there really though??

And if so who is making that taboo.??

I can remember cartoonish stereotypes of 'poor' beleaguered guys being chased with rolling pins, by their 'battle axe' wives since I was a kid ..

The endless, 'er indoors, "she who must be obeyed" tropes which imply poor put upon men, being oppressed by women, are still rife .

Who makes these 'jokes' who perpetuates these stereotypes..
Is it women??

Nope

Whereas we know in reality the DV stats are firmly skewed the other way, men are overwhelming ly the ones hurting each other, hurting women, killing them in fact.

But where are the cartoonish portrayals of beaten up women though??

There are very few, why is this.??
Because everyone knows it's actually, deadly serious..??

Much too close to reality..

But the underlying causes, are they really talked about??

No one has suggested that men are never abused.

The fact that they can't or won't confide, won't seek help, isn't that more about the being brought up to 'act tough' a culture that tells them 'show no weakness' It's a toxic machismo act, but it's a culture in fact created by men, by the patriachy itself..

And in fact portrayed in films featuring Mr Depp himself.

Not created by women, at all.

It's a self victimisation even.

That toxic machismo of not talking about relationships ,no speaking about vulnerability or feelings, needs to change

But that's man's work, really isn't it, between men .??

And you'd hope it would lead to far less violence overall.

Women set up refuges for women and for victims of DV.
Women sought funding for them, still fight to keep them open, and protect those women from harm..
They didn't just arise out of nowhere, and they're still under resourced.

Where are the men setting up refuges for men?
Or do women have to do that too??

Still the overwhelming proportion of violence is done by men, to each other, and to women and children.

You might not like it..
I certainly don't, but it's an inescapable fact .

*********"*********"********"

the little evidence there is on cases like this suggest men are more likely to commit suicide. Instead of standing up against someone like Heard.
***********"**********
And not rarely a man will kill his partner, and even children, and then himself.
Again it's a toxic male machismo 'pride' thing , can't bear the loss of control if she's left, or is
trying to leave.

*******"*************
What your quote of ''professor Kelly Sundberg'' also once again shows is that there is no shortage of standing up for the position of women, but not so much for men.

And why is that?
Because women are the ones who get hurt the most.
Women are trying to support and protect other women.
Is that wrong in your eyes..??

It's the same ol same old .
As soon as you start talking about the incidence of DV against women, it's immediately countered with.
"Men get abused too you know"

But what's so rarely looking at, let alone tackled, is that underlying attitude of supposed 'hardness' that so many men seem committed to performing.

Tackle that, and we might get somewhere.

Edit, split quotes didn't work so stars are to seperate the text blocks..

Last edited:

mudsticks

Squire

A rare place in the sun, for The Sun.. 🙄

D

Deleted member 49

giphy.gif

D

Deleted member 28

Who gives a f**k about Depp or Wagatha spunkface, what difference does any of it matter to normal people like us?

mudsticks

Squire
Who gives a f**k about Depp or Wagatha spunkface, what difference does any of it matter to normal people like us?

The case has sparked off a discussion about violence, and abuse, in relationships and how that's perceived, particularly with regard to gender, and power.

You don't think relationship violence ever happens to 'normal' people?

And anyway who is this 'us' all of a sudden?

I though everyone else here was 'you lot'...

Top Bottom