Aerated Concrete problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Veteran
She is quite clearly seeking to blame local authorities as they have the initial responsibility for the buildings. But this is just too big for central government to ignore.

But the real arse sitters are who ever has been current and previous education secretary since 2017, current and previous prime ministers and the current and previous chancellors for failing to adequately fund the system to allow local authorities to repair the school buildings.

C R

Über Member
She is quite clearly seeking to blame local authorities as they have the initial responsibility for the buildings. But this is just too big for central government to ignore.

But the real arse sitters are who ever has been current and previous education secretary since 2017, current and previous prime ministers and the current and previous chancellors for failing to adequately fund the system to allow local authorities to repair the school buildings.

Are local authorities also responsible for academy buildings? Academies took over the estate of the preexisting schools, did they not take maintenance responsibilities?

OP
OP
E

ebikeerwidnes

Are local authorities also responsible for academy buildings? Academies took over the estate of the preexisting schools, did they not take maintenance responsibilities?

Exactly - they get paid a lot more than the LEAs get paid for the same school
out of which they pay an extra layer of management a large amount of money
a lot of the Chief Executive's have they salary available due to Freedom of Information and all that
It makes interesting reading but don't be holding a cuppa when you see it - although you may need a drink after!

Now - if I remember correctly - a 'certain political party' put forward the concept of Academies as a way of off loading the costs of school only what is effectively a private company
But what is the betting that the tax payer will end up funding the repairs and replacements and not the Academy????

Declaration of Interest - I am a retired teacher - shortly after I retired the last school I was in was made part of an academy - almost immediately all the TAs had their pay almost halved!!!
SO I am NOT a fan of Academies - although I would suspect some do an excellent job

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Only if they're Labour-run LA's....

Well, personally, I would have said "only if they are LAs where the Chief executive and/or Director of Education (or whatever their fancy titles are) are being paid more than the Prime Minister, and/or where the Chief Executive has been busily overseeing disastrous house building companies, and/or energy supplies etc".

BoldonLad

Exactly - they get paid a lot more than the LEAs get paid for the same school
out of which they pay an extra layer of management a large amount of money
a lot of the Chief Executive's have they salary available due to Freedom of Information and all that
It makes interesting reading but don't be holding a cuppa when you see it - although you may need a drink after!

Now - if I remember correctly - a 'certain political party' put forward the concept of Academies as a way of off loading the costs of school only what is effectively a private company
But what is the betting that the tax payer will end up funding the repairs and replacements and not the Academy????

Declaration of Interest - I am a retired teacher - shortly after I retired the last school I was in was made part of an academy - almost immediately all the TAs had their pay almost halved!!!
SO I am NOT a fan of Academies - although I would suspect some do an excellent job

Wheren't Academies part of the "Education, Education, Education" era, of Blair/Brown?

BoldonLad

Why 2017?, I rather thought the problem had been known about long before that?

Beebo

Veteran
Why 2017?, I rather thought the problem had been known about long before that?

2017 is when the first ceiling collapsed and things became real.

I can’t really blame anyone before that as it was just a theoretical risk.

Everything has a design life but you would usually expect something with 30 years to go beyond that. A tiled roof on a house is only designed for 60 years but loads of people have older roofs.

matticus

Guru
Everything has a design life but you would usually expect something with 30 years to go beyond that. A tiled roof on a house is only designed for 60 years but loads of people have older roofs.

Fair point, but they have rather different failure modes, no? And one is hanging over the heads of 30 kids!

Ian H

Guru
2017 is when the first ceiling collapsed and things became real.

I can’t really blame anyone before that as it was just a theoretical risk.

Tiling is superficial. These concrete structures are... er... structural.

Mr Celine

Tiling is superficial. These concrete structures are... er... structural.

Not in the usual way. In a normal concrete roof panel the concrete carries the compressive load on the top and the steel reinforcement carries the tensile load on the bottom.

RAAC has negligible strength even in compression so roof panels require reinforcement top and bottom.

The BRE published a paper in 1996 about problems caused by life expired RAAC panels.

Top Bottom