Ambitious not guilty plea?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
I’m curious as to what his defence will be, and how he explains his whereabouts for the four days he was missing from prison and how his doppleganger was subsequently arrested in his place.

Former soldier Daniel Khalife has pleaded not guilty to escaping from Wandsworth prison in London.
He is accused of escaping from lawful custody, after allegedly breaking out on 6 September and spending four days on the run.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66876658

I’m curious as to what his defence will be, and how he explains his whereabouts for the four days he was missing from prison and how his doppleganger was subsequently arrested in his place.

Former soldier Daniel Khalife has pleaded not guilty to escaping from Wandsworth prison in London.
He is accused of escaping from lawful custody, after allegedly breaking out on 6 September and spending four days on the run.

I doubt he's got much to lose, and a few extra days in a courtroom having fun, a bit of attention is better than banged-up in a high security jail. I guess he figures he's in for a long stint and his kitchen career is finito...

AndyRM

Elder Goth
One report I read claims he's doing this to expose corruption the the judicial system. Ambitious, but I think he's on a hiding to nothing.

Beebo

Veteran

It’s the Crown’s job to provide the evidence to show he is guilty. He doesn’t have to play ball with them. It’s why the police go to such lengths to protect evidence, even when it appears to be an open and shut case.

Frankly he has nothing to lose. And around 80% of people who plead not guilty are ultimately convicted, so he’s hardly in the minority.

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member

I must admit his logic escapes me.

Mr Celine

I presume he's getting legal aid.

When I worked for the DWP I regularly had to waste a day in the witness waiting room along with a colleague and a couple of polis, to eventually be told we could all go because the defendant had changed his or her plea.
We all knew this was going to happen because the defence lawyer could claim an extra £40 from legal aid if the case actually went to trial.

I presume he's getting legal aid.

When I worked for the DWP I regularly had to waste a day in the witness waiting room along with a colleague and a couple of polis, to eventually be told we could all go because the defendant had changed his or her plea.
We all knew this was going to happen because the defence lawyer could claim an extra £40 from legal aid if the case actually went to trial.

But, presumably, the lack of an early guilty plea cost the defendant money and/or gaol time.

Were defs stupid enough to accept that so their lawyer got £40?

Or were they hoping 'something would turn up'?

Reactions: C R

Mr Celine

But, presumably, the lack of an early guilty plea cost the defendant money and/or gaol time.

Were defs stupid enough to accept that so their lawyer got £40?

Or were they hoping 'something would turn up'?

These were all giro or order book frauds or irregular encashments. No one got the jail for that.

The defendants never had any money in the first place which is what drove them to do it despite knowing they would almost certainly be caught.

They'd get fined but as they didn't have any money it would simply be deducted from their benefits. The weekly deduction was the same amount regardless of the size of the fine.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
These were all giro or order book frauds or irregular encashments. No one got the jail for that.

The defendants never had any money in the first place which is what drove them to do it despite knowing they would almost certainly be caught.

They'd get fined but as they didn't have any money it would simply be deducted from their benefits. The weekly deduction was the same amount regardless of the size of the fine.

Sounds like a well thought out scheme ;)

Top Bottom