And They're Off! The race for London Mayor begins again!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Legendary Member
The Evening Standard are in trouble over their front page, which has annoyed the Tory party.
I can see their point. I'd much rather the Standard was condemning her for her lack of experience, right wing lunacy, poor decision making and lack of credible policies.
I'm sure the full detail of her lack of qualifications will be available in Private Eye shortly.

Reactions: C R

Pale Rider

Veteran
Hang on, isn't the Standard part of a shady right wing Russian owned conspiracy?

Presumably, the editor who approved that front page will shortly be found on the Embankment with a poisoned brolly up his jacksie.

albion

Guru
Far too early to discuss.

If pre election then the only interest will be in how much the Tory vote holds up.

Pale Rider

Veteran
I think going for a full page is a bit odd.

A pic used full on the front may indicate the paper doesn't have a strong enough story for that position.

It's also an excellent pic for the front because the subject's position with her arms outstretched frames the page and sits under the masthead nicely.

Another plus in this case is a pic used full doesn't work with a big headline - handy because you'd struggle to come up with a quality headline about a candidate's declaration for a forthcoming election.

A key point for the conspiracy theorists on here is the decisions are made largely irrespective of the content of the story.

Obviously, it has to be topical, but nothing else matters.

Pale Rider

Veteran
True. They are probably waiting for Private Eye to publish so that they can steal their journalism.

The nationals have got some good stuff from the Eye over the years, but the majority of the flow is in the other direction.

Still, musn't let the true position interfere with your ingrained prejudice.

Pale Rider

Veteran
You, reasonably enough, pick other posters up for snipey stuff.

Then you post like this...

As I've said many times, I will dish a bit out now and again.

This one struck me as particularly dense, given it has so little basis in fact.

The nationals could easily get their editions out if there was no Eye.

But the Eye would struggle desperately for content if there were no nationals.

For a start, their front page relies on agency snappers covering an event for the nationals which the Eye could not afford to send to the event on an exclusive contract.

By the way, strange how you pick me up for doing sniping, but never pick anyone up for doing it to me.

By the way, strange how you pick me up for doing sniping, but never pick anyone up for doing it to me.

You're old enough, ugly enough and been around forums long enough to be able to look after yourself :tongue:

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Legendary Member
The nationals have got some good stuff from the Eye over the years, but the majority of the flow is in the other direction.
Still, musn't let the true position interfere with your ingrained prejudice.
or indeed what can factually be attested to.

C R

Über Member
The worry is that Corbyn could run for mayor and split the vote.

How did it work when Livingston won the election. Wasn't Livingston running as an independent against someone parachuted in by Blair?

Top Bottom