Apparently, this 'women' thing has gone too far...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire

Ace find ... ^_^

"I'm old enough to remember when it was only male TV heroes on our screens and all the crime was being committed by frustrated women..... Oh, no hang on a minute....."

mudsticks

Squire
There’s someone that would do us all a favour by having a second job and not bothering with the MP stuff.

I'm not 100% convinced it's not a spoof .

I mean could anyone seriously write that speech, read it back to themselves, and then think

"Yup , that all makes total sense"

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Yeah, I went there. Stick that in your woke pipe and smoke it, libtards.

Pale Rider

Veteran
Given all the harrumphing, I was expecting something properly crackers.

What a disappointment.

At the risk of discussing the content of the speech, rather than just the usual abuse of a Tory MP we've had so far, the gender of positive role models in the media could be worth having a think about.

I think there's a danger of over stating the impact of James Bond, even if the next one is called Gemima.

On t'other hand, one of the loony murderers I covered changed his name to a video game character, suggesting fictional characters were important in his twisted world.

icowden

Legendary Member
At the risk of discussing the content of the speech, rather than just the usual abuse of a Tory MP we've had so far, the gender of positive role models in the media could be worth having a think about.

Perhaps surprisingly, I agree with you Paley. Firstly the speech was appallingly badly researched:
  • Dr Who - a non-human, neither male nor female human but Galifreyan with the possibility of many aspects. Appearence seems driven by its fondness for earth, and possibly reflects the time periods it has mostly visited where it made sense to take a male aspect.
  • Ghostbusters - A job. Not a person.
  • Luke Skywalker - not replaced. There were some Starwars films with a lead female character as a princess, and then some films with a lead female character as a Jedi
The Equalizer I will concede is a straightforward gender flip of a not particularly famous or detailed ex-spy.

He could have made a better point by suggesting that instead of a female James Bond, it would be better to establish a new film series built around the concept of a female secret agent. If you wanted to share the Bond universe, how about a female love child, now 21 and enrolled into Her Majesties Secret Service?

But lets make good films with female protagonists rather than just sticking women in old film franchises. Build new and better heroes.

Of course none of this actually fits with the narrative that he was trying to bleat on about. It's not as though boys have nothing left.

mudsticks

Squire
Perhaps surprisingly, I agree with you Paley. Firstly the speech was appallingly badly researched:
  • Dr Who - a non-human, neither male nor female human but Galifreyan with the possibility of many aspects. Appearence seems driven by its fondness for earth, and possibly reflects the time periods it has mostly visited where it made sense to take a male aspect.
  • Ghostbusters - A job. Not a person.
  • Luke Skywalker - not replaced. There were some Starwars films with a lead female character as a princess, and then some films with a lead female character as a Jedi
The Equalizer I will concede is a straightforward gender flip of a not particularly famous or detailed ex-spy.

He could have made a better point by suggesting that instead of a female James Bond, it would be better to establish a new film series built around the concept of a female secret agent. If you wanted to share the Bond universe, how about a female love child, now 21 and enrolled into Her Majesties Secret Service?

But lets make good films with female protagonists rather than just sticking women in old film franchises. Build new and better heroes.

Of course none of this actually fits with the narrative that he was trying to bleat on about. It's not as though boys have nothing left.

Agreed, I don't think women need to just slot into fictional spaces made for them via the 'absence' of men.

Plenty of other stuff to do.

Tbh I think the male power fantasies / role models such as promoted in 'adult entertainment' are far more problematic to young minds.

More likely the source of a certain type of entitled male offending.

Many of the 'boys' I know can't be doing with this tired old, one dimensional machismo shite that they're supposed to be aspiring to.

It's so old.

FFDdcjDXEAYHgkJ.jpg

International Men's Day? Is that a thing?:scratch:

Top Bottom