At what age did you become aware of political differences?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spen666

People have political differences?

Yes, some people in England prefer to be shafted and screwed over by the Tories, whilst others in England prefer to be shafted and screwed over by Labour.

In Wales as well as the options available to the English their is a 3rd option - to be shafted and screwed over by Plaid Cymru

In Scotland, the 3rd option is to be shafted and screwed over by the SNP
Democracy is all about letting you decide who is going to shaft and screw you over

bobzmyunkle

Democracy is all about letting you decide who is going to shaft and screw you over
Whoever you vote for, the government always gets in. Haven't heard that for a while.

Once a Wheeler

LOL being the only Tory kid in class doesn't make you some kind of free thinker - it just means your dad is the boss.

I think you are probably spot on there. I have the impression that his parents may have been small shopkeepers amongst whom there are many grass-roots Tories. As I mentioned, the arguments he came out with did not persuade me of anything political, what they did do was to draw my attention to the difference between identity-based allegiances and opinions based on argument. Funnily enough, rather than politics I think I applied the lesson more to religion where I saw plenty of identity but could never find the argument, eventually concluding that it was not there to be found. The lesssons of life (and year three).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 121

Some time in the 80's when two fat blokes had a scrap down the street arguing about which is better, Vauxhall or Ford. The scrap only ended when my dad drive past in his FIAT 126 and they stopped to laugh, possibly because my dads hair was so big and curly, it didn't really fit in the car.

All uphill

I was a late developer in this regard. It was only when I was thirty that I started to take an interest. That was the time of Thatcher vs Miners.

Until then politics was, like football, just noise to me.

Top Bottom