Bastard Landlords VI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Actually I've lost count, but it's probably five or six. I've parked this thread series, started over the road, for a while now because my current landlords buck the Bastard Landlord tendency and I've been happily cushioned from one of the nation's most desperate crises for six or seven years. I've not ceased to pay attention, but it's a relief when landlordism loses its grip on your life, and it's nice not to have to bang on about it like an obsessive. So this isn't about me, but I've spent the last two days consumed with fury.

I have a young friend/junior colleague from India who has just come back to Swansea after visiting her family for a couple of months. She studied for an MA here and I employed her and a couple of her friends to do some social media work and suchlike while they were at university. She is supporting herself through casual work while she looks for something more serious, and found a room in a shared five-bedroom house to stay in. She asked me to act as a guarantor (which is something of a joke as I don't have a bean, but she's a responsible sort and comes from a middle-class family who would bail her out if needed, so it's essentially a formality). Anyway it needs to be a UK citizen with a job, so I said yes, and the scumbag parasite agents sent me a thing to sign, which I looked through and it seemed OK, or at least as OK as these over-a-barrel agreements can ever be. There was a single figure for monthly rent of £472, and underneath that the words 'includes Council Tax'.

Anyway my friend popped in for a chat about something else the following day, and said she didn't really understand how the Council Tax thing worked, so I explained that if they all had separate contracts with the landlord, it was an HMO and the landlord is liable for the tax, and will usually add a bit on to the rent to cover it, whereas if they were joint tenants they would be billed directly and could sort it out amongst themselves. She looked a bit puzzled so I asked her to forward me whatever emails had been sent to her about the council tax.

We have looked into the cost of the council tax via Swansea council - council tax for the year for a 5 bedroom property on ________ Avenue would be £2437.87, you would get 25% on this £1828.40 / 12 months = £152.36 per month.

We will add this to your monthly rent of £320.00 making it council tax included at £472.36. We will add this into your contract.
Your initial payments will be –
Rent - £472.36
Bond - £320.00
You will receive a copy of the bill to the property.
Kind regards,

You read that right - a landlord taking almost £20K a year on a single property is offloading her entire Council Tax bill for that property of £150 a month onto a young person renting a single shitty room in an HMO.

Now, having lived in rented accommodation for over 30 years and having rented (I think) 11 different places in Swansea, I eat Letting Agents for breakfast, so it's fair to say that Some Emails Have Been Exchanged. For various reasons agreed with the young person in question I have agreed to rein in the desire to head down to their office in full Jihadi mode, but she has decided she'll put up with this shit for three months and then move elsewhere, after which these MFs had better start sleeping with one eye open. Parasites, scum, and bastards.

200w (2).gif

fozy tornip

fozympotent
Starmer'll sort it.

albion

Guru
It is just a technicality. The price is £472.
Of course,if it was advertised at £320, then yes, scam.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Reading around the chip
It is just a technicality. The price is £472.
Of course,if it was advertised at £320, then yes, scam.

The rent is £320. Being charged £152 a month on top of your rent is a scam. Put me back on ignore if you're not going to bother reading things properly.

CXRAndy

Veteran
Rent £320 council tax £152. What's wrong with that. Its Swansea council that sets the local council tax for services, which I understand is labour controlled

Landlords charge rent for the property and tenants pickup council tax, gas, electric, water bills and any other sundry charges.

If your friend does a runner, you will be liable having signed as guarantor. Foolish thing to do if you haven't got the finances to cover the debts.

multitool

Shaman
if they all had separate contracts with the landlord, it was an HMO and the landlord is liable for the tax, and will usually add a bit on to the rent to cover it, whereas if they were joint tenants they would be billed directly and could sort it out amongst themselves.

You didn't read this bit, Andy.

CXRAndy

Veteran
Either way, the tenant has to pay the costs of rent, council tax and utilities.

The landlord will pass the whole council tax obligation onto the tenant -not add a little to the rent

Letting agent probably needs to rewrite their adverts and agreements to be clearer.

I don't see where the issue is, is the rent too much or the council tax portion?

Last edited:

Beebo

Veteran
The landlord is over charging by apply a 5 bed rate to a one bed room. The question for me is are they charging everyone in the house the same amount? If so they are making £1828.40 x 5 rooms, on a tax which is only costing them £2437.87.

But in reality you need to look at the overall picture, is £472 pcm a realistic rent, can she get a cheaper rent else where.

CXRAndy

Veteran
Unless you can get the actual council tax for said property not just the street it's difficult to assess. I don't know if Swansea have a different band or rate for an HMO

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Unless you can get the actual council tax for said property not just the street it's difficult to assess. I don't know if Swansea have a different band or rate for an HMO

You don't know shit. This is not news to us.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Reading around the chip
I'm sure it comes as an immense surprise to everyone that the forum's pet racist doesn't mind about rich white English people robbing Indian students.

CXRAndy

Veteran
:biggrin: She asked me to act as a guarantor (which is something of a joke as I don't have a bean, but she's a responsible sort and comes from a middle-class family who would bail her out if needed, so it's essentially a formality

I'm sure it comes as an immense surprise to everyone that the forum's pet racist doesn't mind about rich white English people robbing Indian students.

I don't rent the property to her. Her family can deal with her financial situation.

How do you know it's a rich white Englishman or woman who is the landlord?. There are many other ethnicities which own rental properties

Your hatred of white rich English folk has clauded your vision

Ian H

Guru
I don't rent the property to her. Her family can deal with her financial situation.

How do you know it's a rich white Englishman or woman who is the landlord?. There are many other ethnicities which own rental properties

You don't seem to be able to grasp nuance. Try reading again more carefully.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Reading around the chip

I literally know who the landlord and agents are, you colossal fuckwit.

CXRAndy

Veteran
I literally know who the landlord and agents are, you colossal fuckwit.

You seem to have got a handle on it then being the guarantor

Pop round, tell the landlord, they're shafting the young lady and reduce their charges for her

See where that will get you

:okay:

Top Bottom