Big brother Tesla

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stowie

Indeed. He really doesn't like them. I think they are bad for company share price? I read this but didn't absorb it fully...
https://www.wired.com/story/what-are-short-sellers-and-why-does-elon-hate-them/

Short Selling is legal. Is Musk going to assemble a crack team of Lawyers just so they can tell him this?

I suspect that Mr Musk is more concerned with opinion articles often published by short sellers that point to why they have decided to short sell the stock. Short selling does get a very bad rap, and not without some justification. But having CEOs and executives cry "Unfair!" at short selling when they have often been busy boosting the stock through puff articles isn't really much of an argument.

Short selling is quite often "the canary in the coalmine". Valeant Pharmacuticals was exposed falsifying sales of products by a short seller. Enron was exposed at least in part by short sellers. That's the thing about the sort of people who short sell in this way - they tend to really do the research since their losses are potentially unlimited if they don't.

It shows a certain chutzpah (to say the least) that Musk has been arguing that the SEC stifled his free speech when he was busy boosting Tesla by tweeting that he might take it private, but when the other side publish their opinions he wants to assemble an in-house lawyer department.

Ian H

Guru
Interesting insight into Tesla cars on Friday. I was in a slow-moving queue on the M5 where it narrows back to three lanes. A Tesla driver was doing the last-minute squeezing into the third lane behind me. At the same moment the queue slowed and so did I, checking the mirror that the driver behind was aware. The Tesla slammed on the brakes - the driver's head-lunge and immediate worried glance behind showed he wasn't responsible.

ebikeerwidnes

Interesting insight into Tesla cars on Friday. I was in a slow-moving queue on the M5 where it narrows back to three lanes. A Tesla driver was doing the last-minute squeezing into the third lane behind me. At the same moment the queue slowed and so did I, checking the mirror that the driver behind was aware. The Tesla slammed on the brakes - the driver's head-lunge and immediate worried glance behind showed he wasn't responsible.

To be pedantic - he was responsible he was just delegating his driving to the technology
which is worrying - although probably actually safer - in most cases

Braked far too abruptly & could have caused a collision from behind. All the other cars were slowing gently. The driver's reaction indicates that it was unexpected behaviour.

I don't think that's unique to Tesla; my Skoda Fabia has a similar function. Caught me twice, both in roughly the same place locally where the view ahead opens up and a driver who is observing properly will take advantage. Was well aware of fact I was closing on another vehicle but it was quicker and much harder on the brakes than it needed to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

icowden

Legendary Member
I don't think that's unique to Tesla; my Skoda Fabia has a similar function. Caught me twice, both in roughly the same place locally where the view ahead opens up and a driver who is observing properly will take advantage. Was well aware of fact I was closing on another vehicle but it was quicker and much harder on the brakes than it needed to be.

VW ID4 also has it. Quite often when I am reversing into the driveway. it can be switched off though.

stowie

VW ID4 also has it. Quite often when I am reversing into the driveway. it can be switched off though.

My 2015 BMW has this feature. It has emergency stopped on the Parkway roundabout near Heathrow where multiple lanes go off the Heathrow exit and presumably it thinks I am about to crash into the car next to me also taking the exit. Tests if the driver following me is on his/her toes though I guess.

Top Bottom