Big brother Tesla

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
albion

albion

Veteran
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...ding-design-flaw-in-battery-packs-198780.html

Reminds me of a certain phone maker.
Planned obscelescence, but this time multiply by 40.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...ding-design-flaw-in-battery-packs-198780.html

Reminds me of a certain phone maker.
Planned obscelescence, but this time multiply by 40.

So it isn't a designed in flaw then? It is Larry Campbell saying his Tesla doesn't work properly.

I had a Vauxhall once, and the diesel engine blew after 112,000 miles. Should I have claimed 'built in obsolescence' or do things just have a lifespan? This whole article is based upon the experiences of two drivers. Do we seriously need just two cases of a thing happening to make it newsworthy, or do you just not like Elon Musk very much because he is stinking rich?

From the article... "Tesla claimed that the “car was flooded,” but Campbell said that never happened." Well, he would wouldn't he?

From the article... "Tesla claimed that the “car was flooded,” but Campbell said that never happened." Well, he would wouldn't he?

The whole article suggests that batteries can flood without the car being submerged in a flood or similar. Instead corrosion allows water to penetrate over time. The design that allowed this was updated but, as is so often the case, the manufacturer will not accept that there really was a fault. Instead they assert that they have a policy of continuous improvement.

OP
OP
albion

albion

Veteran
I am not sure why, but they accepted liability in the US but other countries can 'go hang'.
The reference to the liability does not specifically reference this design flaw so it may be in fact one of others.

The problem with Tesla is that some people do get repairs but it seems they have to sign a 'leak control' NDA to get it.
The other thing to note is that the data collection is a one way street, only Tesla knowing which cars are failing due to said flaws.

Being now in the technology age this is a relatively new aspect.

OP
OP
albion

albion

Veteran
https://www.oregonlive.com/business...otorcyclists-does-autopilot-not-see-them.html

No doubt very bad for cyclists too. The other thing I never realised is that whilst Tesla owners are wealthy, buyers are very young compared to competing electric cars. That increases risk too.

"Michael Brooks, acting executive director of the nonprofit Center for Auto Safety, called on NHTSA to recall Tesla’s Autopilot because it is not recognizing motorcyclists, emergency vehicles or pedestrians.
“It’s pretty clear to me, and it should be to a lot of Tesla owners by now, this stuff isn’t working properly and it’s not going to live up to the expectations, and it is putting innocent people in danger on the roads,” Brooks said." "

Last edited:

icowden

Legendary Member
"Michael Brooks, acting executive director of the nonprofit Center for Auto Safety, called on NHTSA to recall Tesla’s Autopilot because it is not recognizing motorcyclists, emergency vehicles or pedestrians.
Despite the fact that there is no evidence yet that autopilot was in fact in use at the time of either crash, only the word of one of the drivers who sure would like something to blame...
“It’s pretty clear to me, and it should be to a lot of Tesla owners by now, this stuff isn’t working properly and it’s not going to live up to the expectations, and it is putting innocent people in danger on the roads,” Brooks said." "
Absolutely. 2 fatalities in 35 million miles. Remind me how many fatalities have there been in other car brands per 35 million miles?

OP
OP
albion

albion

Veteran
Musk the big gambler.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradte...ars---its-not-what-you-think/?sh=39b690fd69a7

'New cars without radar will have Autopilot limited to lower (but still fast) speeds and a longer following distance, and lose a few other functions.'
'The truth is right now, computer vision only has one leg, and needs that crutch.'

It is also worth noting that it us claimed a massive rise in phantom braking coincided with the removal of radar.
You really do sense that the car is far too much Musk.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/06/technology/tesla-autopilot-elon-musk.html

My thought is that getting rid of radar and the ultrasonic sensors means the computing power needed goes down massively, the single vision route leading to the use of lower cost computer chips. Not forgetting making teams redundant.
The saving on ultrasonic was reckoned to be only $114.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Tesla...car-with-risky-Vision-only-move.661490.0.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
albion

albion

Veteran
Tesla Corp Criminal investigation.
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...nal-investigation-self-driving-claims-sources

"Last week, Musk said on another call Tesla would soon release an upgraded version of “full self-driving” software, allowing customers to travel “to your work, your friend’s house, to the grocery store without you touching the wheel”. "
"
A video currently on the company’s website says: “The person in the driver’s seat is only there for legal reasons. He is not doing anything. The car is driving itself.”

However, the company also has explicitly warned drivers that they must keep their hands on the wheel and maintain control of their vehicles while using Autopilot."

Considering the above, marketing speak for 'we do not kill too many of you'.

Last edited:

icowden

Legendary Member
"Last week, Musk said on another call Tesla would soon release an upgraded version of “full self-driving” software, allowing customers to travel “to your work, your friend’s house, to the grocery store without you touching the wheel”. ""
A video currently on the company’s website says: “The person in the driver’s seat is only there for legal reasons. He is not doing anything. The car is driving itself.”
Yep. This has actually been the case for some time under controlled conditions, it's just now being rolled out to more users.
However, the company also has explicitly warned drivers that they must keep their hands on the wheel and maintain control of their vehicles while using Autopilot."
That's correct. Autopilot is not the same as Full Self Drive.

Considering the above, marketing speak for 'we do not kill too many of you'.
Nope.

stowie

Yep. This has actually been the case for some time under controlled conditions, it's just now being rolled out to more users.

Surely this Tesla messaging is really problematic? A bit of a nudge and wink - hey you need to be here because of the pesky law, but you don't really need to be here.

It is well documented in aviation safety about complacency in autonomy. Accidents have happened where pilots have exhibited risky behaviour due to complacency with the technology, trusted autonomy too much or plain got confused with the sheer amount of information being presented when things don't go as normal. And these are highly trained, motivated individuals who have the dangers of complacency drummed into them over and over again. Not someone who took a test decades ago and has been told "hey its OK, it will drive itself!".

Top Bottom